• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do you think some of the new phones to come out are only shipped with Ginger Bread and not ICS?

Tyseyh

Android Expert
Jun 9, 2010
Leeds, UK
Was curious, since Dan pointed out the Xperia S i have started to become a little bit obsessed... (Thanks for that btw )
i was reading it and the phone only comes with Gingerbread.
Seems a little odd to me, yes its getting an upgrade to ICS but why not shipped?

A few phones like that about, what are your thoughts?

Was curious, since Dan pointed out the Xperia S i have started to become a little bit obsessed... (Thanks for that btw )
i was reading it and the phone only comes with Gingerbread.
Seems a little odd to me, yes its getting an upgrade to ICS but why not shipped?

A few phones like that about, what are your thoughts?

A lot of it had to do with manufacturer skins and carrier bloatware. Google announces a new version of Android and the manufacturers have to then modify their custom skin for the new version. They then have to test it themselves to make sure it is stable. Once they are satisfied, they submit it to the carriers who then load on the bloatware, and when their ahem stuff and restrictions don't work, they send it back to the manufacturer to re-engineer. Once the manufacturer and carrier are satisfied, they will test internally, then probably do a soak test with willing users. Hopefully, after several months, they will finally update the users phone with the update.

Reactions: Tyseyh
Upvote 0
All that bloatware should be optional! Just download it from the market.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Well, as a consolation about bloatware, when / if you are upgraded to ICS, there is functionality in the OS to disable apps (essentially uninstalling bloatware). Hopefully this isn't something "modified" by the carriers ;).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones