• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does an OS upgrade WIPE EVERYTHING OUT ?

jack63ss

Sep 1, 2016
Can someone explain the logic behind an OS upgrade that wipes out all the users data ? I've done a lot of different operating system upgrades on a lot of different platforms, but none, not even any of Microsoft's, wipes everything out. I understand it is much easier to do it that away and not have to deal with configuration issues, but computers are supposed to be labor saving devices. I do assume there is a logical explanation though, I just would like to understand it.
Thanks

Yes, how did you do the update? One that just downloaded over the air should not do that (indeed I've known phones get stuck with restrictions from old OS versions just because removing them would have required an update that wiped the phone).

However, if you applied the update by downloading a full firmware image and flashing that from a computer that may be a different matter. And if you had to unlock your bootloader to do this then that will have wiped the phone (a security measure, since otherwise doing this would open the doors to someone bypassing the locks and accessing user data without authorization).

Upvote 0
giphy.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones