• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why does anyone like sense?

atljatl

Android Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2011
Atlanta, what
I'm not posting this to be a jerk at all. I just starting using/learning about android a few months ago and love it. The og evo is my first device, and I used sense roms for about my first month with the phone. However, after discovering aosp, I really dislike sense, and I don't imagine I would enjoy touchwiz/blur/etc.. either. Anyone care to share their thoughts about why they like sense? I'm not posting to flame those who like sense. I'm just curious.

To get everything in sense can be a pain in the azz .... im currently dealing with it right now ... you can have this or this .... but not both. AOSP is nice because everything works for the most part ( CM7 roms). Sense does seem to be more stable as far as basic day to day phone functions though ... a better daily driver if you will.

Reactions: MusicJunkie
Upvote 0
Sense is very aesthetically pleasing. Which isn't to say that AOSP is not, but sense looks nice. It also has a lot of very useful widgets. And finally, it is what the phone came with, so I think a lot of people are more comfortable with it.

That being said, I do have MikG3.1 installed, but I'm running GoLauncher... so you be the judge. ;)

Also, I personally think sense is getting fragmented. That's probably only because of the awesome dev community we have, but we're getting sense ports, leaks, official builds... makes my head spin...

;)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I prefer AOSP over Sense overall. I love that AOSP ROM's a much smaller in size and are generally much faster than Sense. I do like some of the widgets and features Sense brings to the table but don't like how Sense ROM's take away from the openness of android. Sense is a bit easier to setup as well, which is why I believe a lot of people who are newer to our root community gravitate to them.

Upvote 0
Sense has some good things here and there and I like Sense. AOSP roms are more customizable and are smoother to me. I like them both. Just to have a choice is great. I'm all about freedom of choice and not being bogged down like certain overpriced/overhyped/overrated phones.

What ever could you be talking about? :D :vroam:

Upvote 0
I prefer AOSP over SENSE. However when your using something like Go Launcher it really doesn't matter to much of whats behind the scenes. You want the important things like stability, Dev support, and Reliability. That doesn't matter which ROM it is just as long as it provides it. I'm currently using SOS X 209.4 its running good for me. Again though I'm running Go Launcher so I have the same look regardless if I run Sense or Aosp.

Upvote 0
I've gotten better battery life on Tommy's classic with aggressive freedom than I have on any AOSP rom I've ran.

Granted, I don't run a lot of AOSP, but I get plenty of battery life on sense (3+days). Trying to squeeze out any more is just pointless because I usually charge the battery every night.

Edit:
Also, theres the AnthraX kernel available only for sense. Its performance is absolutely amazing and I miss it each time I flash an AOSP ROM. Mason may rival it one day, but by that time there will be a sense variant of it as well.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried a straight aosp Rom in a while. I had one I really liked, can't remember which one it was. I couldn't get nav and gps to play together nicely, even flashing gps fixes. That was a dealbreaker for me. Voice mail is a pita too.

I still have a Samsung Moment, aosp on EVO just seems like I'm running it with a bigger screen.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
Android is all about choice, and rooting extends that choice.

I use three different phones in the course of a day, and I like having Sense on all of them.

Could I have standardized mucking about with customizations to make them similar. Sure, why not?

Instead, I run stock rooted on two of them and killed off any power robbing and problem-causing bloatware, stock on the third.

I have no complaints on battery life or speed and smoothness (a custom kernel here, a custom kernel there) and Bob's your uncle.

Plus, I like Sense. I like the appearance and I love the data centric app integration - remember, Sense is far more than a launcher.

And anything that doesn't remind me of my Moment is fine by me.

Do I recommend Sense? See my first sentence. ;) :)

Upvote 0

I use three different phones in the course of a day, and I like having Sense on all of them.

Could I have standardized mucking about with customizations to make them similar. Sure, why not?

Instead, I run stock rooted on two of them and killed off any power robbing and problem-causing bloatware, stock on the third.

I have no complaints on battery life or speed and smoothness (a custom kernel here, a custom kernel there) and Bob's your uncle.

Plus, I like Sense. I like the appearance and I love the data centric app integration - remember, Sense is far more than a launcher.

Because I'm one with an Enquiring mind I really must know why do you have three phones? I have 1 and well thats plenty for me to keep up with. If I had more than that people would drop like flies around me :vollkommenauf:

Upvote 0

Well said.

Upvote 0
Because I'm one with an Enquiring mind I really must know why do you have three phones? I have 1 and well thats plenty for me to keep up with. If I had more than that people would drop like flies around me :vollkommenauf:

Well, there's my Evo 3D (rooted) and WifelyMon's Evo Shift. And the Shift is so cool and smooth, I'll just as easily pick that up to surf and post when it's on the coffee table, same for her gloming on to my 3D to play games.

And then, there's my Evo 4G. I could have gotten $150 in trade for my 3D. But, I couldn't be convinced that 30 days was enough to decide, plus - srsly? Give up my Evo???

There's only one original. And like a goof, when they called me June 5, 2010 to pick mine up, I said, yeah, sure, and was lucky it was still there the next day, when I scored.

So I tell everyone that that's a wifi appliance, and it is - then again, so is my laptop, and quality never goes out of style.

There's a lot of chin music about whether the newer phones are truly Evos, and I am here to tell you that they are.

And that's how I ended up with a 3vo, Evo and Shift, while srsly considering EL TEvo (EVO LTE) - if it's an Evo, I'm there.

BTW - nothing beats the phone with the first big screen and the first kickstand. Only other Evos join the club!

And that's how I ended up with three phones. ;) :D

Upvote 0
Well, there's my Evo 3D (rooted) and WifelyMon's Evo Shift. And the Shift is so cool and smooth, I'll just as easily pick that up to surf and post when it's on the coffee table, same for her gloming on to my 3D to play games.

And then, there's my Evo 4G. I could have gotten $150 in trade for my 3D. But, I couldn't be convinced that 30 days was enough to decide, plus - srsly? Give up my Evo???

There's only one original. And like a goof, when they called me June 5, 2010 to pick mine up, I said, yeah, sure, and was lucky it was still there the next day, when I scored.

So I tell everyone that that's a wifi appliance, and it is - then again, so is my laptop, and quality never goes out of style.

There's a lot of chin music about whether the newer phones are truly Evos, and I am here to tell you that they are.

And that's how I ended up with a 3vo, Evo and Shift, while srsly considering EL TEvo (EVO LTE) - if it's an Evo, I'm there.

BTW - nothing beats the phone with the first big screen and the first kickstand. Only other Evos join the club!

And that's how I ended up with three phones. ;) :D

OK kewl thought it might be one of those split personality issues. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones