• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help why does both.. WIFI and 4G LTE icon both show up?

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
AT&T Note3...
Normally only one or the other would be on the Notification Bar. (Wifi or 4G LTE icon)

I noticed starting a few days ago...
now.. both are on the notification bar.
I see both the wifi icon and 4G LTE icon.

why? what is going on? does it need to be fixed?

On Verizon I have both. Always have

Something might be wrong with your wifi connection then-

Dont know about ATT's version but when I'm connected to wifi, the 4G icon always goes away

** I found this thread over on XDA
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2479362&highlight=4g+and+wifi+icons

They suggest turning the app "Caller Name ID" off. (I froze this a long time ago which may be why I dont have the problem)

"You need to disable (turn off) "Caller Name ID". Go into manage apps, click Caller Name ID and select "Turn Off". That worked for me."

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-19-17-35-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-19-17-35-52.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 1,220
Reactions: ocnbrze and dan330
Upvote 0
Typically SMS and MMS go thru 3g/4g. So even if you have wifi turned on you'll see the 3g/4g bc it is required in order to send and receive text and pix messages.

Only MMS go through 3g/4g, SMS goes through your signal.

The only reason the 3g/4g shows up is because you have data on, it isn't necessarily using it though.

Upvote 0
The only reason the 3g/4g shows up is because you have data on, it isn't necessarily using it though.

Even if mobile data is on, if connected to wifi the 4G icon should disappear, it has done this on every build for me on verizon since MI9 its never stuck both of them at the same time for any period of time on mine (except when it is initially connecting to the wifi).

Gotta be an app or system process keeping his data connection active and not fully switching it over to the wifi

Upvote 0
My n3 shows both at the same time. The down /up arrow will be orange / green if it is using it. Right now, I'm on Wifi and the arrows under the Wifi icon are lit up. If I send a mms, the arrows under 4g will temporarily light up (and both are lit). Probably not much help as I've questioned this as well...just letting you know you're not alone.

Upvote 0
Even if mobile data is on, if connected to wifi the 4G icon should disappear, it has done this on every build for me on verizon since MI9 its never stuck both of them at the same time for any period of time on mine (except when it is initially connecting to the wifi).

Gotta be an app or system process keeping his data connection active and not fully switching it over to the wifi

Some android phones show both WiFi and 4G icon at the same time even when connected to WiFi point unless you turn off mobile data. But this doesn't mean 4G connection is still active and used. In settings/status it shows mobile data is disabled when connected to WiFi. I think 3G/4G data goes into low power idle state to be only used for MMS.

Some phones display 4G (or 3G) and others don't with WiFi. I had both and they all behave the same for data, MMS. Not sure how note 3 is supposed to show this but it's probably not issue.

Upvote 0
As DC said, the icons say "this is available", not "I'm currently using this". If you're connected to a wifi router, and there's 4G available where you are, you'll see both (at least on the 900A).

As far as turning data off, the easiest way is a widget called Data ON-OFF. Tap the icon and it changes from on to off to on... And it's grayed out when data is off.

To turn it off manually, go to More Networks/Mobile Networks. The first item is a checkbox to turn on (or off) Mobile data. The widget is easier.

Reactions: Clayton1
Upvote 0
When both icon shows up, 4G icon should be in grey color if in idle state. 4G data is in super low power state and will be used only when apps like MMS calls for it. Unless you are in poor signal area, turning off data with WiFi on won't save battery much.

currently.. the phone is on my desk... doing nothing for last hour.
both are on.. NONE are in grey!

Upvote 0
William is right.
The Verizon "Caller Name ID" app forces 4G LTE on when on WiFi.

This started happening after an update that activated a trial of "Caller Name ID", which shows you the name of some callers, but also pesters you to subscribe for an additional cost.

Stopped the app and now I'm back to just WiFi showing when connected. I find this comforting because I don't wonder what connection is being used for data when on WiFi.

If you don't see this app in Application Manager, be sure you swipe to see Running applications, not just Downloaded applications.

Upvote 0
As posted by davidisaac in regards to 4G and WiFI being on at the same time, it is the caller ID that Verizon offered as a trial that is the cause. I am now wondering if we (Verizon Customers), have any recourse to the amount of data usage that we used, without knowing that this was happening. My data usage is almost 1gb, and I have a month to go, and my plan is for 2gb, which I never come close to using, what made me suspicious, and brought me to this find.

Upvote 0
5G??? what?

that is what my friend said about his new cable modem / wifi router. we argued about it for awhile.
my old laptop and old Samsung Note 8 and old Samsung Note 3.. and his iPhone 5s .. all saw this new 5G wifi signal.

that is right WIFI signal that is 5G. NOT a wireless carrier 5G signal.

it is a 5 Gigahertz signal.. for the WIFI. not 5th generation wireless broadband.
don't let the marketing mumble jumble confuse u.

I think .. currently only in Japan and Korea.. is there real 5th generation wireless Broadband (5G) out for public consumption.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones