1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Why does it take so long to email a pic from my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jim W, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Jim W

Jim W Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Not really complaining as much as just wondering.

I use my phone tethering to surf the web and play World of Warcraft and see absolutely no difference in bandwidth related performance, yet I took a picture with the camera today and sent it via email and it took (without actually timing it) what seemed like 5 minutes to send the file. :thinking:

..and I am not talking time to get the pic in the email I sent it to, but the time the little recycle looking symbol was on the screen at the top as it was sending it .

Advertisement

2. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    IT Support, Testing, Product Development
    Everett, WA
    I have been sending 3 to an email lately and noticed the slow sending as well. I think it's actually the side processing used to go through a POP3 account.

Gmail seemed much faster for me, but I'm ok with letting it background process - as long as they don't hang too long.

Course, the other thing to remember is each image off it is like 800k so I'm sending 2.5MB each time I do that...

3. Jim W

Jim W Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009

Yeah the pics do default quite large, I might need to adjust the settings for that.

4. zcarman

Feb 19, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Yep, I just ran speedtest on mine and it's uploading at 60kbps so a normal email (800k) should be about 10-15 seconds - plus data interrupt, times 3 for what I'm doing...

Seems like about 2 minutes or so... :)

5. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Graphic Designer/Art Director
    Orange County, CA
    This is not a solution as much as an alternative, but I've been "sharing" my photos lately to my own Picasa account -- e.g. If I need to snap a pic of something and post on Craigslist. The uploader works pretty well, and if I have a wifi connection, it's super fast.

6. zcarman

Feb 19, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Good alternative decalex...

Wifi also makes uploading emails 100x faster from here as well. I'm only in a good to fair coverage area and in a cement warehouse, so I'll take what they can give me for data here.

If it got really bad, I can get an Airave here and rout through that as well.

7. Robbzilla

Robbzilla Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Remember, a 3MP photo is pretty big. Depending on what you're doing, you might want to scale it down. a 3MP pic is 2048

8. pattonthegen

pattonthegen Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    san antonio
    How do you change the size of the pic when you take it with your phone?