1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Why does Lollipop kick me out of Settings and show me a PIN screen?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by SilverGold, May 4, 2016.

1. SilverGold

SilverGold Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Hello.
    My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4, using 5.0.1. Smart Lock is NOT enabled and NEVER has been. I have been unlocking my screen with a draw pattern and not a PIN. Phone has been working problem free in every regard for about 2 years, and has been running Lollipop for a long time (months, maybe a year, IDK). I can still use my phone in every regard except for the Settings menu. Whenever I go into Settings I get kicked out and see a screen asking for a PIN. The screen has the little white gear with a blue circle in it (icon for Settings) and a number pad. That's it. Punching in the 4 digit pin I used a long time ago before I switched to the draw pattern to unlock my screen doesn't do anything. I can still use the "Go Back" arrow at the bottom right corner of the phone to leave this screen, so I can still use the phone and all apps. But to get back into Settings again I have to restart the phone, go into Settings, and finish whatever I am doing there within a few seconds before it kicks me out again and pops that screen. I can't even troubleshoot this because I can't stay in Settings for more than 30 or 40 seconds before getting kicked out. I have attached a jpg of the screen.

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Have you installed a new app lately? This may just be a full screen pop up.

bcrichster likes this.
  3. bcrichster

bcrichster Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Jan 23, 2013
    Male
    Electrical, Electronics
    Florida
    Possible app locker deal? I installed one for my step daughter's play phone once (and locked the Settings.apk) so she couldn't accidentally wipe or reset it.. Maybe someone playing a joke..??

4. SilverGold

SilverGold Lurker
    None

May 4, 2016
    Male
    Thank you for replying.
    I have not installed any new apps lately. I tried uninstalling recent updates that were done this week but it is very hard because I can only stay in Settings for 30 seconds give or take a few.
    No joke playing either. No one else ever handles my phone. HOWEVER, I'm glad you said that, bcrichster. I DO have the Applock app on my phone. Haven't used it much. But I went to the app just now and its PIN screen is identical to the screen I posted with one exception. Instead of the Settings Icon (the white gear piece with the blue circle in it) I see the Applock icon (a little safe with a combo lock on the door), but it's the exact same background and pin pad. Haven't used Applock in so long I forgot about it, plus I was distracted by Smart Lock. Gonna troubleshoot in Applock now. Yep! Sure enough the Applock pin I have unlocks Settings. Why didn't I think of this before. Helps to have a second or third pair of eyes look at a problem.
    I got this now, thanks again both of you.

bcrichster and Dannydet like this.