• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why does Moto lock us out?

Marc_G

Feb 5, 2011
Indianapolis Area
Hi folks,

I've recently learned that upgrades over the past year now prevent rooting and boot loader changes. I had heard something about this in the past, but I had never rooted or wanted to do anything with custom ROMs in the past so didn't care.

Since being able to tinker under the hood has always been a selling point for Android versus very locked Apple phones, what's in it for Motorola / Google / Verizon etc. to lock us out of these features?

For my RAZR MAXX HD, I'd like to root just so I can back up my angry birds scores and restore them after an FDR (apparently, can't do it without root access).

I just rooted / custom ROMed a Samsung tablet that was balky, and this cured many ills, so now I'm less scared of what's involved, but find that it's apparently not possible on my phone to root it.

Why should it be so hard to back up game scores and other data? And why lock out the small % of users who are tinkerers?

Marc

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones