1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why does my mobile data connection always displays 4g as the connection type?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Android Question

My phone is samsung note edge, sm-n915p running on 5.0.1 lollipop. Unrooted.

whenever i open the mobile data connection, it always displays 4g as the connection type. The thing is, it always only displays '4g', no h+ or h or 3g or any other else. I tried tinkering the options already but to no avail. Even if i tick the preffered mobile connection to wcdma or gsm only, it still only displays 4g. I tried putting my sim card on another phone (samsung s4) and turned on the same settings and i got h+ at the same location. My sim card is lte enabled, i also tried a sim card that does not support lte but phone still displays 4g. My question is, why is it like this? Why does it only display 4g. Why cant i get other signals in which im sure i should be getting. Im sure 4g isnt the real signal im getting since the internet speed im getting is sometimes super slow unlike the advertised speed i should be getting in lte.

Thanks in advance, i dont really know about this so if i missed something simple, please tell me.

Curtis1973 likes this.
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by Curtis1973, Jan 24, 2016 (3 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. glc

glc Android Enthusiast

It might help if you told us your country and carrier.

4. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

also some carriers like Sprint edit the XML in systemui to reflect the highest connection strength even if it is actually 3/2G...in effect they do it to lie to you. so you don't see just how rarely you have 4G lol...truth.

KOLIO likes this.