• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why does my WiFi icon look like this?

pegs520

Aug 15, 2011
Utica
www.netsdaily.com
I've never had a problem with my connection. Never lost connection. Speed has always been great.

So why does my icon look like this? Is it supposed to?

2n1wa49.jpg

If you go to Settings > WiFi > then tap on network you are connected to, what are the readings for signal strength and link speed?

If you hold your phone close to your wireless router, does the icon change?

If you walk away from the wireless router does the icon change?

Download WiFi Analyzer from Google Play and do some experimenting.

As you can see, the strength is high in the settings, but I still get the icon in the notification bar. Weird.

I walked through my whole house and did scans in the settings, and it stayed high in the settings and low in the notification bar.

And I do have smart actions that turn it on and off, but it doesn't affect WiFi performance at all.

Maybe I just have a broken icon.

34xru38.jpg

Upvote 0
As you can see, the strength is high in the settings, but I still get the icon in the notification bar. Weird.

I walked through my whole house and did scans in the settings, and it stayed high in the settings and low in the notification bar.

And I do have smart actions that turn it on and off, but it doesn't affect WiFi performance at all.

Maybe I just have a broken icon.

34xru38.jpg

That's what I'm saying...performance isn't effected but for some reason SA messes with the icon...just a suggestion by the way...set a smart action to disable data when wifi is on

||MaxxHD||

Upvote 0
I see this quite often on my RHD. I'm not running SA that messes with WiFi, but I am using the WiFi Auto On app. When it happens, it's always when WiFi is turned on initially. Eventually, it returns to normal. When I first noticed it, I checked WiFi Analyzer. Normally, the signal strength is about -62 to -52dB, but it was showing -23dB. That's one helluva signal. Doesn't show a signal this strong every time, though.

Since it doesn't seem to cause performance problems, I haven't worried about it, but it's nice to know someone else has seen this.

Upvote 0
That's what I'm saying...performance isn't effected but for some reason SA messes with the icon...just a suggestion by the way...set a smart action to disable data when wifi is on

||MaxxHD||
I recently experienced this myself. The icon always functioned correctly until I made a Smart Action that turned the wifi off when the screen was off. After that, it always showed only one bar of wifi, even when sitting next to the router. I deleted the SA, cleared the cache, and it's been working normally ever since.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones