• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does screen only rotate one way?

Wow, kinda crazy. And I guess I should have searched better first... sorry. It wouldn't be such a big deal, except that at night I have it charging and I like to use it to browse and check mail and such in bed, and the cord is sort of short and I'm on the left side of the bed.... So I have to rotate the phone with the cord sticking out the right, and then making a sharp turn back across itself to the left. It's tight and makes me have to hold the phone over to the side just a bit; a little uncomfortable. Probably not the best thing for cord life either.

Hopefully this is something that will be changed in a latter OS update - no good reason I can think of why it only goes one way. I actually like using the phone the way it rotates now with the hard buttons on the right, it's just the charging in bed thing that is annoying.

Upvote 0
Wow, kinda crazy. And I guess I should have searched better first... sorry. It wouldn't be such a big deal, except that at night I have it charging and I like to use it to browse and check mail and such in bed, and the cord is sort of short and I'm on the left side of the bed.... So I have to rotate the phone with the cord sticking out the right, and then making a sharp turn back across itself to the left. It's tight and makes me have to hold the phone over to the side just a bit; a little uncomfortable. Probably not the best thing for cord life either.

Hopefully this is something that will be changed in a latter OS update - no good reason I can think of why it only goes one way. I actually like using the phone the way it rotates now with the hard buttons on the right, it's just the charging in bed thing that is annoying.

No harm no foul. That's an east fix, push the S.O. to the other side of the bed!

On a serious note, I'm right-handed and hold the phone with my right hand so it is natural for me to tilt it the way it is set up. I would bet that it wasn't even considered when it was being designed. Either that or i caused to many issues when people set their phone on a surface they thought was flat.

Upvote 0

I'm new here.. but a simple workaround for this is to get an extension cord...

it's not a fix because it would be nice if the screen rotated both ways.. however since it doesn't extending the cord is the easiest solution.

Upvote 0
Not a bad idea. I'd rather not extend the AC part of the cord though because I don't want the wall wart sitting in my lap in bed. I do have an old USB extender cable around somewhere... should work between the wart and the factory cable since that part is standard USB. I'll have to make sure one end isn't the square USB... I think they are both the flat part.

Not ideal, but better than lying a little on my left shoulder the whole time!

Upvote 0
I'm actually glad that it doesn't flip automatically in one of the directions. Here's why:

When I'm laying in bed and browsing the web, I don't want it to flip. I'm happy that I can lay on my right side and it doesn't flip or else I would have to shut off flipping and turn it back on when I get out of bed.

Still, I think this should be customizable--instead of just having automatic flip on/off, there could be more options for always flip both or always flip either right or left or not at all. That does make it more complicated UI though, so is maybe why they just have current Android working the way it is now since it's obvious how it all works when you turn your phone around.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to chime in here... with 85% of the populace being right handed the flip is designed to address the majority of users and the dominate hand used... its just the way it is! But, I'm sure... if enough people exhibit a desire for such a need, then sooner or later an app will appear to provide this function.
Don't worry... be happy!

:cool:

Upvote 0
Erm, that just seems stupid. I can't think of any good hardware or software reason why the flip couldn't have been enabled to go either way. At least, there shouldn't[/b] be any hardware reasons. I think it's more likely that they either (1) didn't think about it or (2) figured everyone in the world would always just flip it one way. Both are stupid. And I'm sure this will be fixed.

Upvote 0
Bumping up an old thread based on what I saw last night on my Sprint Hero.

My phone is running with the Fresh v1.0 ROM and I'm currently running Sweeterhome v2 beta.

While in the threads list in Handcent, I was deleting a particularly long thread and apparently had the phone tilted over just enough so that the screen rotated clockwise.

I couldn't believe it at first, but I wasn't seeing things. Sweeterhome force closed about 3 seconds later, causing the screen to rotate back to portrait.

I've tried to make the phone do it again, but it won't cooperate. haha

So it seems that it is possible to have the screen rotate to the right. We're just not allowed to do it for whatever reason.

Upvote 0
Just to let you know, I believe Android 2.1 will allow this (rotate either way).

I loaded the first 2.1 Rom from Flipz and got it rotating all the way around either direction. My wife was excited when she saw this, as she has a Hero and always turns it the wrong way and gets frustrated when it doesn't rotate.
Damage 1.0 doesn't flip in both directions but Fresh 2.0 did. I wonder why the difference? Does the Nexus rotate in both directions?

Upvote 0
Damage 1.0 doesn't flip in both directions but Fresh 2.0 did. I wonder why the difference? Does the Nexus rotate in both directions?

Flipz talks about this in some of his comments on his latest release of 2.0c (I believe). The orientation was one thing that wasn't working on the latest release. It was, however, working on the first release (the one without the camera working).

I believe the Nexus and even the Droid rotate both ways.

Upvote 0
Just to let you know, I believe Android 2.1 will allow this (rotate either way).

I loaded the first 2.1 Rom from Flipz and got it rotating all the way around either direction. My wife was excited when she saw this, as she has a Hero and always turns it the wrong way and gets frustrated when it doesn't rotate.
All the way around? So even upside down? That would be awesome if true.

Upvote 0
Not a bad idea. I'd rather not extend the AC part of the cord though because I don't want the wall wart sitting in my lap in bed. I do have an old USB extender cable around somewhere... should work between the wart and the factory cable since that part is standard USB. I'll have to make sure one end isn't the square USB... I think they are both the flat part.

Not ideal, but better than lying a little on my left shoulder the whole time!
Go to monoprice.com they have plenty of cables with various length for less than $2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones