• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why does the battery saver not re-enable WiFi after a full charge?

Usalabs

Lurker
Aug 28, 2020
Sometimes I forget to charge the phone and it goes into battery saver which as you know disables certain features that would otherwise use battery such as WiFi, but recently I found that after I charge the phone the WiFi doesn't come back on again, and I have been using phone data all this time, and wondered why I was being charged for over data limit usage.

Is there a way to get the battery save to auto enable WiFi when the battery charge reaches say '80%' or more? Or is there an Android app that would monitor the battery saver module and enable WiFi when the battery reaches 80%+? Or (as I always do, I turn off the phone so that it charges quicker), to auto enable the WiFi when the phone is powered on and the battery is 30% or more (the battery saver kicks in when the battery is at 25%)?

Having checked my device, I notice that Wi-Fi is not even included in what is controlled by the Battery Saver.

That being said, I do have an app with a battery saver that does include Wi-Fi as an option.

I do know that the Wi-Fi turns back on when I turn the battery saver off.

Are you using the stock or a third party app as a battery saver?

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Just for reference, the definition of what is controlled by the stock battery saver...

Screenshot_2020-09-14_19-19-41.jpg

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Having checked my device, I notice that Wi-Fi is not even included in what is controlled by the Battery Saver.

That being said, I do have an app with a battery saver that does include Wi-Fi as an option.

I do know that the Wi-Fi turns back on when I turn the battery saver off.

Are you using the stock or a third party app as a battery saver?

No, it's the stock battery saver that's part of the cell phone system, and I checked again, and the only options are the battery level for when the save enables and the option to manually turn it on/off, the limit is set to 10% of the battery.

Upvote 0
Just for reference, the definition of what is controlled by the stock battery saver...

View attachment 153613
Yes, as can be seen by the image, the stock battery saver does turn off all connectivity, including WLAN (WiFi), bluetooth, GPS, etc etc, but doesn't turn them back on, if they were enabled before the saver kicks in, they should be turned back on when the save is automatically disabled after or during charging. That's why a lot of the time, I see that red phone handset in the corner saying 'Unable to connect' and this is the 'WiFi calling feature that is enabled while using WiFi), and the reason it couldn't connect was because WiFi was turned off, and the only way that was turned off was when the saver came on, and I put the phone on charge.

Upvote 0
Yes, as can be seen by the image, the stock battery saver does turn off all connectivity, including WLAN (WiFi), bluetooth, GPS, etc etc, but doesn't turn them back on, if they were enabled before the saver kicks in, they should be turned back on when the save is automatically disabled after or during charging. That's why a lot of the time, I see that red phone handset in the corner saying 'Unable to connect' and this is the 'WiFi calling feature that is enabled while using WiFi), and the reason it couldn't connect was because WiFi was turned off, and the only way that was turned off was when the saver came on, and I put the phone on charge.

My device does not turn the Wi-Fi off when the battery saver engages, at least not if I am using Wi-Fi at the time.

First, I know this due to the rare occasion that I allow my battery to drop down that far.

Second, I am almost always on Wi-Fi, as I have very limited data, and I know when the battery saver starts because it darkens the screen and activates a short screen time out- like 15 seconds or so.

I really can't remember a time that I allowed the battery to drop so low that the saver started and I was not already using Wi-Fi.

All I have to go on as far as personal experience is how my devices behave.

Have you tried any third party battery savers?
Perhaps the solution is to not use the stock battery saver at all, and use a third party app instead.
Like I said, I do know of an app that has a battery saver that restarts everyrhing that it turns off when it is turned off.

Of course, the battery saver itself is not automatic, and must be controlled by the user.

So basically you would he in the same position if you used that one.

Might you be able to do without the battery saver altogether?

Generally I find that it doesn't really do much for my devices anyway.
I leave mine on only as a low battery reminder for when I am not paying attention.

A simple $5 fix is a tiny external battery booster that connects to your device and provides a quick, decent charge.

ONN is the brand I refer to specifically, and they are available at Wal-Mart.

I use them for my devices as well as my bluetooth speakers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones