• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help why does the browser reload when opened?

luke318is

Jun 6, 2010
Does anyone know why the browser always auto-reloads the page when you switch back to the browser after having it in the background?

I use my browser a LOT to activate equiptment at work. this feature slows me down and wastes data.

Really need to fix this!
Dolphin browser does it too!

I can't reproduce this in Dolphin.

Here's what I did:

Open Dolphin
Go to Google
Let it load
Press home button
Open Dolphin again

It didn't reload.

I always tried pressing home while the page was still loading.. the page just continued to load in the background and when I reopened it it had finished loading.

I can't get the stock browser to do this either.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

Edit: just saw your next post about 5 minutes of inactivity. I'll try that now.

Edit 2:

I couldn't get it to work, but I think I know what's happening. Do you have a lot of other apps running? Or apps that might be using a lot of memory? Android automatically kills background tasks to free up memory when a new task needs it, so if you've got a lot of apps running it's likely that the OS is killing Dolphin when you send it to the background, and then when you reopen it, Dolphin reloads all of the pages you were previously on.

Solution would be to close apps when you're done with them by pressing the back button, instead of hitting home all the time.

Upvote 0
This happens to me on Android 4.0.3, does anyone have any recommendations?
Well, I can recommend that you turn off Javascript in your browser of choice... as some webpages have automatic reloading coded on them, that forces the browser to refresh after a timed interval.

If your browser settings happens to have a "reload pages on timer" setting, turn that setting off. Not all browsers have this setting however.

Both the settings above do not account to page rendering which almost happens with most browsers when switching between a page to another in the same app... they only affect the reloading of the page for fresh content.

If your browser supports it, use "save pages option", the page will be saved to disk minimizing the need to reload online.

If you got task managers, set an exclusion to your browser to avoid the browser being terminated automatically. This ensures that your browser doesn't get terminated prematurely, forcing a reload of pages once the browsers are re-launched. If your task manager support OOM value modification, have your browser's OOM value set low - this makes the app the last app that android memory manager needs to kill in order to allocate memory to other applications... eventually android will terminate the app, you're just ensuring it stays alive longer than usual. Task managers like Autokiller can change the values, but its not permanent as Android's built-in memory manager will eventually override the OOM values based on need.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones