1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Why does the stock browser even have a "home page" option?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mscheaf, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mscheaf

mscheaf Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 17, 2012
    Alton, IL
    Why does the stock browser even bother allowing you to set a homepage url if nothing ever actually goes to the home page? The stock browser will open in only one of two states: the last page(es) you visited or a blank page. That's it. The browser will never open on anything but one of those two options. So why do you get to set a homepage in the options if there is no homepage button and the browser never opens at "home?" Anyone?

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Which phones stock browser?

Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. sonyboyj

sonyboyj Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Google has made Chrome the stock browser on android since 4.2 i believe. So you should use that. the old globe looking browser is crap

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    As funky mentioned, knowing your phone or manufacturer could go a long way towards trying to figure this out :)

5. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Llangollen, North Wales.
    I think this also depends on manufacturer and/or model and personal choice. The HTC One stock (globe looking) browser is certainly not 'crap' - I have Chrome, Dolphin and Opera Mini but the stock browser is my first choice, although they each have something different to offer.

On the homepage issue, with the One stock browser, whatever is set as homepage is rendered each time a new tab is opened, so it is effective.

(Also, all four browsers open to last page visited, and unless I've somehow missed it, Chrome doesn't have a homepage option.)

:)

6. !on

!on Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Chrome (& Firefox) both gave me problems. Excruciatingly slow, I want to use them but every time I've reinstalled them the same happens so I uninstall. Again.

Gave up on Dolphin (I consider it bloat ware, had privacy issues in the past), other browsers try to force you into Facebook (go away)

Now I use Opera Classic* & Light browser. The former being my main browser with my opera link bookmarks on, the latter being a basic "light" browser.

Every browser should have the option of changing your homepage. I use DuckDuckGo.

* Opera mini is a good choice but I prefer the full browser. Wouldn't touch the new Opera Mobile, half of it is missing!