1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Why doesn't Android have instant push notifications like Iphone and some others.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by xzero425x, Mar 31, 2012.

1. xzero425x

xzero425x Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    This has prob been asked many times. Im just curious to why the Iphone gets instant push notifications? Facebook,twitter,instagram are usually instant once they get a update/tweet,etc..

Like why is the facebook app only allow 10min intervals? Even friendcasters push notification is slowly sucking. and my twitter app is 1 min intervals but eats battery faster with it that low. Gmail is the only thing i know thats instant.

Im just curious to if its the OS or apps?

Advertisement

2. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Male
    IT Manager
    NY
    i dont think thats a limitation of Android OS, I think thats the poor design of the app developer. I'm not a dev so I can't speak for sure.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

I think its the apps.

4. scooterinmn

scooterinmn Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    MN
    I get instant push notifications every time for my Exchange emails... Oh wait... I have a grown up phone!! :p

5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Not everyone wants push. There have been complaints about FB using data in the background by searching for updates when the owner of the phone didn't want it to. These people did use FB, but only when THEY wanted to. Not when FB thought they should. Some TMO users had this problem if they had a limited data plan.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    It's probably the apps. If the FB or Twitter apps where constantly pinging the mothership for updates, would probably use too much data, as well as draining the battery. Do you really need to know the exact second what John Doe in Tokyo or whatever is having for his breakfast? I've found the Gmail is not instant, takes a few minutes to send a notification through.

7. Ngo93

Ngo93 Android Enthusiast
    None

To get push notifications using the official FB app: log into FB from a Blackberry and enable the notifications, now you should get push notifications (your interval time can be set to never and you will still get them now)

8. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Due to the limitations on some of the network carriers on the amount of data that you are allowed a month, having push notification seems to be of great concern for many people. Being that I'm on the Sprint Network - having "push notification" on my device is not a problem for me.

I don't know why Android devices don't have push notification, but a fix for that has been found. Here is a link to a 'tutorial' on a possible fix - this has been working for me ever since.

Here you go, check it out: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...-notification-fix-try-these-simple-steps.html