• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why doesn't Android have instant push notifications like Iphone and some others.

xzero425x

Apr 8, 2010
This has prob been asked many times. Im just curious to why the Iphone gets instant push notifications? Facebook,twitter,instagram are usually instant once they get a update/tweet,etc..

Like why is the facebook app only allow 10min intervals? Even friendcasters push notification is slowly sucking. and my twitter app is 1 min intervals but eats battery faster with it that low. Gmail is the only thing i know thats instant.

Im just curious to if its the OS or apps?

Not everyone wants push. There have been complaints about FB using data in the background by searching for updates when the owner of the phone didn't want it to. These people did use FB, but only when THEY wanted to. Not when FB thought they should. Some TMO users had this problem if they had a limited data plan.

Upvote 0
This has prob been asked many times. Im just curious to why the Iphone gets instant push notifications? Facebook,twitter,instagram are usually instant once they get a update/tweet,etc..

Like why is the facebook app only allow 10min intervals? Even friendcasters push notification is slowly sucking. and my twitter app is 1 min intervals but eats battery faster with it that low. Gmail is the only thing i know thats instant.

It's probably the apps. If the FB or Twitter apps where constantly pinging the mothership for updates, would probably use too much data, as well as draining the battery. Do you really need to know the exact second what John Doe in Tokyo or whatever is having for his breakfast? I've found the Gmail is not instant, takes a few minutes to send a notification through.

Upvote 0

Due to the limitations on some of the network carriers on the amount of data that you are allowed a month, having push notification seems to be of great concern for many people. Being that I'm on the Sprint Network - having "push notification" on my device is not a problem for me.

I don't know why Android devices don't have push notification, but a fix for that has been found. Here is a link to a 'tutorial' on a possible fix - this has been working for me ever since.

Here you go, check it out: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...-notification-fix-try-these-simple-steps.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones