• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why doesn't outlook work on the Samsung A51

I am a Blackberry user who just switched to an Samsung A51. I have an IMAP webmail account which supports exchange active sync.

With my blackberry outlook client I could manage email and calendar from my handheld device. With outlook on the samsung I can see either email or calendar depending on what configuration path I follow, but not both.

Can anybody suggest why?

Assuming you've tried re-configuring your Outlook account and that didn't fix things, try going into your Settings menu, find and open the Outlook app entry in the Apps menu, and use 'Clear data'. Using Clear data will wipe the app's settings/configuration files and is cache, essentially returning the app to its original, first time used state. Try and set up your Outlook account again and see if the problem is still occurring.
If so, try manually re-configuring your Outlook account:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-outlook-8361e398-8af4-4e97-b147-6c6c4ac95353
Also, just to confirm, when you're stating you're having issues viewing both your email and calendar, that's a reference to viewing both within the Outlook app, or using the Outlook app to access email and the Calendar app for your Outlook calendar?

Upvote 0
I learnt painfully about outlook configuration for IMAP when I set up my blackberry some years ago (~wry smile).

Whats happening now is after I download outlook from google play, I don't get an option for configuring it for IMAP. It configures as connecting to an exchange server, it downloads calendar data (but not an up to date calendar), but no email messages. I just have a little circle that keeps spinning forever. However, if I click on inbox, it does show my email file folder structure. Also, it allows me to send me emails, and I think I get notifications on incoming mails. But I don't get to see any message.

The if I go into the app settings and clear the data, I have to reconfigure the outlook app. This time I get an option for manual setup and I can select IMAP. With this configuration I get my emails, but no calendar. Oddly enough, with the IMAP setup, if I select advanced settings and enter all the parameters manually, I get a login error message!

I should mention that I am not giving outlook access to my gmail calendar. I don't want my work appointments saved in gmail. I want everything to stay on the hand-held.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is essentially the problem. I'm having to move my email service to a hosted exchange service. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

But it bugs me that Google has so much control over what I can and cannot do. This was never an issue with my Blackberry running a QNX based OS. I did consider switching to an iPhone, but speaking with a friend who has one, the situation is the same there, just iCloud instead of Google.

Upvote 0
May not be a Google problem. Are you using Microsoft Outlook on your Samsung, or some other app?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.outlook&hl=en_US ?
See what matters most first with the Focused inbox that keeps the important messages on top. Switch between your emails and calendar to schedule your next meeting or share your availability with just a few taps. Or grab a document from your Files list and attach it to an email seamlessly.
With everything you need only a tap away, managing your busy days is now easier than ever.
Outlook for Android works with Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft 365, Outlook.com, Gmail and Yahoo Mail.

That's what it's supposed to do. If you are using Outlook with Exchange on your own device, you may need to get your company or organisation's IT admin dept. to assist in configuring it correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones