• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why doesn't Samsung use metal?

What do you prefer?

• I'm fine with the plastic.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I prefer metal materials.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I don't care about the looks.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
Being an engineer with partial materials science background and career in metals industry I have to give my vote to... plastic!

Plastic is perfect material for short life cycle products like mobile phones. It absorbs shock protecting the glass display and the components inside. It is cheap to manufacture and certain plastics even can take hits like metal. Sure, plastic may break but the cost of replacing a plastic part like back cover for example is nothing compared to replacing anything else. I used to also think not so high of plastic construction of pricey items until I bought my first lens in Canon's top range L-series with plastic casing. Not only is it lighter than metal but it gives better shock absorption to protect the glass components. On top of that it expands and contracts less when warmed up or cooled down (supposedly the reason for larger lenses being white) and feels much nicer in hands, especially in sub zero temperatures.

Metal has basically only one thing going for it and that's the "premium feeling", all feeling no doubt. The cost difference of stamping metal covers instead of casting plastic ones is too insignificant to make me feel any premium feelings or cheap feelings. In fact it's too small for me to believe that there are actual intended monetary savings behind choosing plastic instead of weight savings.

Personally I never use any covers on or around my phones so dropping a plastic phone leaves probably a dent or crack while a metal body would relay the shock to the glass or the components inside. When I get a new phone every few years, I sell the previous one for cheap enough price so nobody compains about few scratches. I also feel better using the phone as is without any screens or cases.

Upvote 0
As someone mentioned, I would be concerned with signal degradation/loss due to metal features absorbing or redirecting the cell signals.

I work in an industrial environment, so I need some protection for my phone-- I use Otterboxes, and have to replace 'em about every five months or so (which is still cheaper than replacing a phone every six months).

Unlike most of my coworkers, I am not trying to peer through a cracked screen all the time, so plastic is not a problem for me, nor heft, since the Otterbox Defender almost doubles the thickness of my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones