• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why doesn't the Nexus one show under Coming Soon?

That is not true. There is no 4g where I am and would like to have the nexus one now and upgrade to 4g in a year or two. Nexus one had plenty of accessories and no sprint blot where.

Yep. The lack of wide-spread 4g means I am not ready to pony up the premium the phone and/or the service will definitely carry.

As a side note, I like to pretend that since I would be buying the phone directly from Google I wouldn't have to wait for an OS upgrade.

Upvote 0
Jackson has stated the phone will release at $199 and sprint has officially stated that there will be no extra fee's for 4g service, it will be provided on any data plan at no extra charge, so if they change prices around 3g data will be affected too

in case this influences your decision at all, why would you not get the more bad ass phone at no extra charge?

This. Seriously. The EVO beats down the N1 without 4G, and they look to be comparable in price already.

Upvote 0
Jackson has stated the phone will release at $199 and sprint has officially stated that there will be no extra fee's for 4g service, it will be provided on any data plan at no extra charge, so if they change prices around 3g data will be affected too

in case this influences your decision at all, why would you not get the more bad ass phone at no extra charge?

While Jackon / Supersonical has stated these things, there has been no -- and I mean absolutely no -- official word from Sprint. Developers are not always privy to their corporate overlords' whims. Sprint might tell the devs one thing and then turn around and charge a $15 premium monthly for 4G service.

Or Jackson's information could see the light of day, and we'll all be giddy.

It's not that I don't trust Jackson -- I do -- but his informant might not be Dan Hesse. That's all.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, I am pretty up on the exact topic that is going on here so I will try and clarify the plan at this point...

1) Pricing on the EVO - Retail: $599 - 2 Year: $299 AFTER $100 MIR
2) There is no charge for the 4G connection planned at this time
3) There will be a charge for the WiFi routing option currently planned at $30 (like tethering)
4) The EVO is due (subject to change of course) to Business Customers: June 6th - Premiere Members: June 13th - Retail Sales: June 20th.

Now, why go with the N1 vs. EVO?

Do you like the Sense interface? If not, you ain't gonna like the Evo...
Do you want to customize? If so, the Evo won't offer much outside of Sense...
Do you like frequent updates? The N1 will probably get way more of them...

Now, in fairness, the N1 will be almost a year old when the Evo is released. If you think about the Apple Plan (as it has become known) and how they release an 'updated' device every year - it might be time for a new Nexus One for Verizon and Sprint - and that might be the hold up in it hitting the market. Could we see a 4G Nexus one by the end of 2010 to compete with the Evo - and we already have information about the Moment 2 or whatever they are officially calling it.

Upvote 0
Ok, I am pretty up on the exact topic that is going on here so I will try and clarify the plan at this point...

1) Pricing on the EVO - Retail: $599 - 2 Year: $299 AFTER $100 MIR
2) There is no charge for the 4G connection planned at this time
3) There will be a charge for the WiFi routing option currently planned at $30 (like tethering)
4) The EVO is due (subject to change of course) to Business Customers: June 6th - Premiere Members: June 13th - Retail Sales: June 20th.

Now, why go with the N1 vs. EVO?

Do you like the Sense interface? If not, you ain't gonna like the Evo...
Do you want to customize? If so, the Evo won't offer much outside of Sense...
Do you like frequent updates? The N1 will probably get way more of them...

Now, in fairness, the N1 will be almost a year old when the Evo is released. If you think about the Apple Plan (as it has become known) and how they release an 'updated' device every year - it might be time for a new Nexus One for Verizon and Sprint - and that might be the hold up in it hitting the market. Could we see a 4G Nexus one by the end of 2010 to compete with the Evo - and we already have information about the Moment 2 or whatever they are officially calling it.

You can't say those statement's with 100% fairness.

There will be devs working on custom roms and themes for the device from day one. Same thing happens with WinMO on a daily basis. Sprint users JUST NOW (19th of March) got the Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade, when it's been out for much, MUCH longer. However, I had Windows Mobile 6.5 on my device since I got it thanks to the modding/dev community.

I'm pretty sure that most of the people who will get the most out of the EVO will be tinkerers in some way, shape, or form. Even if it's as simple as applying a custom theme. The rest of us, will most likely root our devices, and open the world of custom ROMS on it.

So, not saying I don't in some sense agree.... because I do (in some sense), I just don't think you can base those judgments with 100% fairness.

Upvote 0
This. Seriously. The EVO beats down the N1 without 4G, and they look to be comparable in price already.

I would rather have the N1 for a few reasons:

The one thing no one has mentioned so far in this thread is that the EVO is NOT a world phone, unlike the Nexus One. Also, I personally would rather have an AMOLED screen than a TFT (despite everyone's constant whining about not being able to use it in the sun, which is completely exaggerated out of proportion). Also I'm a fan of smaller phones, which the EVO is not (despite the fact that it is put together very very well for having a 4.3")
As others have stated, Nexus also gets instant updates. Lastly, everyone and their mother is going to have the EVO after its been out for a month. How many people do you know with a Nexus One? Obviously this isn't a big deal, but some of us like a little more uniqueness in our devices.

Clearly the EVO will be more impressive and powerful, especially for the cost, but Sprint isn't releasing the Nexus One ONLY for the people that can't wait a month and a half for the EVO--it has its own merits, which is why I will be getting it over the EVO. Well, assuming they fix all the screen breaking problems, but that's a different story >.>

Upvote 0
The one thing no one has mentioned so far in this thread is that the EVO is NOT a world phone, unlike the Nexus One.

I don't think we have the specs on any USA CDMA Nexus Ones yet. I doubt they will put CDMA and GSM radios in it because of pricing, but nobody really knows.

As others have stated, Nexus also gets instant updates.

I don't know that this is the case. I suspect Sprint will control the updating process for the OS. Since the Nexus One hasn't had a real OS upgrade yet, there is no way to know this for sure.

I think the Nexus One will be a better device for serious users, and the screen is clearly cooler/better tech. And I wouldn't touch Sense with a 10 foot pole. But there are still too many unanswered questions about a Sprint usable Nexus One and the Evo to make a good choice between the two.

Upvote 0
Verizon's current 3G technology which is EV-DO CDMA is far different from Sprints new 4G technology which is WiMax. I don't think Sprint is not planning to release any phones (especially a smartphone) on their now old, 3G network. I just can't see it happening. Google may, however create a WiMax version of the Nexus One for Sprint, but not anytime soon..

By the way, did you change your username? I feel like I've seen your avatar associated with another user.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking sprint is passing on the n1 now. sure thee said their getting it but It's sprint! I'm thinking they are gonna try and push the evo as hard or harder than the palm pre and just forget bout the n1. I'm really just saying this cause I'm doubting sprint and basically calling them out on this. guess we'll see

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones