• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why don't southern houses have basements?

Being in construction in Kansas, it's rare to find a new home that doesn't take advantage of the cheap additional footage a basement adds to a dwelling. I once shared a chat channel with a lady that lived in OKC. That's just a two hour drive or so from where I live. She was contemplating building a new home and I suggested a basement plan for all of its advantages. It made her shudder. Living below the earth surface.. NO WAY. It's more of a mind set than soil conditions which all but eliminates basements from being popular in Oklahoma.

Upvote 0
Basements are not common in the UK. But in recent years they have become very popular with the super-rich in London: since there's very little space, one way you can extend is downwards, so some have been adding multiple floors underneath an existing house (sometimes resulting in the property being larger underground than it is above).

Of course every now and then one of them gets it wrong and the house collapses during the building work...

Upvote 0
now if you turn your basement into lets say a kitchen or the dining room, it will be less creepy for my. but if you turn a basement into a basement.....HELL NO!!!! i aint going down there!!!!! so yeah its all in the head for me:nailbitingdroid::nailbitingdroid::nailbitingdroid:
Around here there is typically a spare bedroom or two, the mechanics room, and a den or entertainment area. A fireplace is common as well as daylight windows. Larger homes will have a theater and or a gym. Most nowadays have nine foot ceilings or even ten. It's not like entering a cave. Here is a recent job I did. Bar area looking into the theater.
Basement.jpg

Upvote 0
I've actually worked on a few new homes that put heat strips under the flooring to aid in keeping the feet warm. Forced air will stay higher in a basement space making it great in the summer but a bit cool to the feet in the winter. More often that not, the air supplies are in the ceiling but the duct work can be run in the concrete floor... it's just a more expensive alternative. Though more expensive, forced flooring heat has to be a cheaper alternative to electric heated matts between the concrete and flooring.

My home is built on a crawl space and I hate it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones