1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Why Galaxy S cannot play H.264 .mp4???

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by couponia, Jul 30, 2011.

1. couponia

couponia Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Hi, I have a question regarding converting .AVI to .mp4.

I am running a website and I want my clients to watch videos on my webpage.

I converted .AVI to .MP4 with H.264 AAC.
    Such file is perfectly working on Apple devices such as iPhone and iPad.

I am personally using Samsung Galaxy S Captivative and it cannot play the same video format file from the web.

When I convert .AVI into .FLV and using HTML5 for the video player, Galaxy S can play .FLV on the web. However, when it comes to H.264 .MP4 it cannot play. "this file format is not supported by the browser" kind of message only displayed.

So, my question is,

1. Is there a particular way to convert a video into H.264 .mp4 which can be compatible with iOS and Android at the same time?

2. What kind of method does Youtube use for Android and iOS?
    My understanding is that they have .flv and .mp4 video at the same time in order to satisfy all of devices. Correct?

3. Does anyone know how to embed .flv and .mp4 files together so that each different web environment can detect the suitable file for playing? I have found that .flv fallback option for video players available in HTML5 with Javascript.

Please help. It took me spending two days to figure out. No answers yet.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    First of all, you need to convert the video files according to strict specs, that is H264 standard Baseline Profile MP4 videos. You can use the guide in my signature to do the conversion with Handbrake. Just for an experimental purposes, I'd also use lower resolution, like 480x320.
    The above converted files should be supported both in iphone and SGS.

Youtube videos can be in flv or MP4 or WebM or 3GP container. The default encoding is H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format, with stereo AAC audio.

Also, make sure that the Flash Player in your phone is up to date (currently, v10.3).