• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why hasn't 2.2 been rooted yet?

is it me or does it seem like it is taking longer than normal for 2.2 to be rooted? Could HTC / Sprint ever "patch" every exploit used to root? If I remember correctly it didn't take 2.1 on the evo that long to be rooted...or am i just being impatient?

The more updates they come out with the more difficult it is to find a exploit....They have to find different hiddens ways into the device....And seeing that 2.2 is just like 2 weeks old (Not even) i would say your being impatient

And this isnt something these guys get paid to do... They do it on their own time for free...

Upvote 0
HTC/Sprint hasn't released all the source code yet. Also why there are no updated hacked kernels either.

I'm sure everyones waiting on the complete source. Someone over at XDA said someone has contacted HTC's legal department asking for the source for 2.1 last time and HTC released it shortly after. Not sure exactly how true that was but there were a few people who seemed to know what was up talking about it.

Upvote 0
ok so am I an idiot or what...because I thought Im pretty certain I see all these custom rom's with 2.2 on it, those are not rooted?
those are for people that were rooted back when the software was 2.1
i have a rooted Evo with 2.2 on it but only because i was rooted before. it takes time to fix the stock 2.2 due to the hboot. that was the main problem with 2.1 and getting that rooted

Upvote 0
This is some useful info. I been searching everywhere for a workaround to force roaming since ##775# has been disabled after Froyo release and I didnt realized all these ppl with the workarounds were already on 2.2 as opposed to be being "SOL" because I was on 2.1 NOT ROOTED and did the update. What I would give to go back to 2.1 or get my gf to trade phones with me, (she didnt update).

Upvote 0
HTC/Sprint hasn't released all the source code yet. Also why there are no updated hacked kernels either.

I'm sure everyones waiting on the complete source. Someone over at XDA said someone has contacted HTC's legal department asking for the source for 2.1 last time and HTC released it shortly after. Not sure exactly how true that was but there were a few people who seemed to know what was up talking about it.

like this, that was released yesterday?

HTC - Developer Center

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones