• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why have four phones?

scupking

Aug 11, 2010
So Moto has four phones (maxx, moto x, ultra and mini). I just don't get why they did this. To me all they should have done was the maxx and mini. The maxx is the top Moto phone yet they put the moto x as the flagship. I have had the maxx for over a week and all in all its the best phone out right now. For smartphones I have had the htc touch pro 2, Htc dinc, original maxx and now the new droid maxx. Never went iPhone since the screen is to small for me. So why do you think Moto came out with all these phones even though they are very similar and why not have the maxx as the flagship phone?

From a developer standpoint I agree.

From a manufacturer standpoint, I wonder why Motorola agreed to it.

From a retailer standpoint, this was a genius move. Verizon latched on to the momentum add an exciting cross-provider release, made some value added changes under its Droid band, then turned that into the variants of the same thing to cover a range of price points and sizes. I imagine it's in their financial interest to sell a Droid branded phone over any other brand at an identical price.

Upvote 0
The Maxx/Ultra/Minin was exclusively contracted by Verizon, as part of the Droid brand contract with Motorola. The X is their flagship phone that will be available on all carriers, plus unlocked as a direct sale (eventually.)

It's curious that Verizon also wanted the X with the other three models. They usually don't do that in the past with other Droid devices (ie, they didn't take an HTC One when they had the Incredible), though they did just start selling the HTC One after they initially started selling the DNA earlier this year.

Upvote 0
I think the three models for Verizon make sense. The Maxx is the beast in the room, I love it. The Ultra is for those that want color, thin, and light along with a 5" display. I personally do not like the glossy back even if it is red and kevlar. The Maxx is much better. The mini is of course for those who want a smaller device. All three have very similar features. The Moto X is a nice phone and was my second choice. Not impressed with the customization features. Very happy I chose the Maxx, it is excellent.

Upvote 0
There are four different ways that smartphones get sold:

- the manufacturer makes a phone, contacts the carriers to see if they want it (Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note, LG G2, Moto X)

- the carrier contracts out to the manufacturer to make a phone just for them (the droid brand series, the sprint HTC evo phones, etc.)

- the manufacturer offers a phone with an exclusive deal to a carrier or a few carriers (AT&T iPhone)

- the manufacturer makes a phone unlocked and sells direct; the phone can be used on many carriers (current iPhone, nexus series)

It used to be that most smartphones were in the middle two categories, but, thankfully, more and more we seem to be in a place where most phones are now in the first and last categories. I'm actually hoping that this Verizon droid branding goes away in the future, and Verizon just takes the manufacturer flagships going forward.

Upvote 0
The Maxx/Ultra/Minin was exclusively contracted by Verizon, as part of the Droid brand contract with Motorola. The X is their flagship phone that will be available on all carriers, plus unlocked as a direct sale (eventually.)

I wonder how much longer that contract is. Hopefully Goog/Mot don't renew it and focus on 1 or 2 great phones per year and timely updates!

Upvote 0
Last night I went into a VZW corporate store to buy a new case for the Maxx, and while I was there I played around a bit with the Motorola X.

What a perfectly sized phone.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Maxx - but add me to the club that wishes that Verizon and Motorola had offered the Motorola X, and contracted out for a slightly thicker Motorola X Maxx (or just Motorola Maxx), with larger battery but the same 4.7" display. Even if the battery was smaller than 3500 maH - more like 3000 to 3200 - I'd have preferred something like that to the Maxx.

The droid Mini I can understand, but I have no idea why anybody would choose an Ultra over a Motorola X.

Upvote 0
One thing about the Moto X that I didn't like was the on screen vs. capacitive buttons. I'm not sure I get why people think capacitive are worse - I think they're better. I always know where they will be, so I'll always hit them when I want to hit them.

I guess to each his own, but the only advantage I saw was that the X buttons rotated when you rotated the phone, with the disadvantage that you lose screen space for the onscreen buttons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones