• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why I cancelled my order

Doon

Feb 8, 2010
Here is my list of thoughts for those of you still on the fence (and before I give my thoughts... a little about me: I have played with the new T-moblie galaxy s, the new iPhone, the incredible, the EVO, and now the droid x. I am an artist/designer/and tech-art teacher/ much of what i do daily is tech based. I am an enthusiast. I am that picky guy that shops carefully... and just buys the best, I don't waste my cash on gadgets... I buy the gadget that works the best for what I need).

My thoughts:

Tactile Stuff>
The droid x is a nice size, the finish feels good in hand. The camera bump is well placed and adds a bit of character. It is an attractive phone (in a Motorola sort of way). The buttons are not great. I dont really like them. They make the device seem dated (not too big of a deal - but not the best design for buttons - this is a materials and implementation issue). I like the size... it is actually not that bad at all. Some may struggle with it but this phone is much nicer in hand than the EVO. Good design overall. Again, it has character... unlike most slab designs.

Screen>
Size is a real winner! it makes usability really wonderful.
The color, detail, and "pop" is nowhere near the excellence of the iphone or even the Galaxy S. It is a quantity vs. quality choice here. Overall I like it. The colors are good but not great. the detail is good but not great. but the screen size is simply awesome when considering the thin body of the phone. good stuff.

Software>
I love using the big keyboard... so comfy. :) I am not a fan of the custom skin. I do prefer stock android over this implementation. But the keyboard options are awesome. There is lag in menu usage and the touch implementation is not as clean as the iphone or as silky as the Galaxy S. But we will see what 2.2 has to say about some of this.

Intangibles>
Motorola seems to have a great partnership with Google and Verizon. This should mean good software updates. But Motorola has their own agenda here, and I have never been one to throw my trust behind a big corporation (google alone comes close). My prediction is that this device will get everything we want from software updates before 3.0 comes out. At that point it will either be the lack of front camera, LTE, or simply too many other new devices on the table for the priority/relevance of the 3.0 update to come through for X owners. Locked bootloader is a big negative here! That said, if a 2.2 device is your cup of tea... it is time to drink up! b/c this device is better than the incredible in all ways except UI (BUT UI IS A BIG DEAL), and it is a more attractive big screen phone than the EVO.

Conclusion>
I will wait for the Galaxy class Verizon phone. The screen on the galaxy is so good as to make the iphone4 a little jealous, the battery life is reported to be very good, and the design is simple enough to be good but not distracting. The phone is already rooted... and that means android 3.0 will be on it!!!!!!! Also, (and very important to me) the touch response is a cleaner than the droid X. But both are good phones!

- Thanks!

Doon I agree with everyone one of your comments. I'm personally going to check out the captivate and (maybe) the fascinate if it comes out in time. I'm on sprint and I liked the evo better than the droid (used a friend's for a week) but it is a bit akward in the hand (htc is a +++; I had the feeling motoblur was a hindrance and with the efuse stuff didn't want to risk a more restrictive environment in the future).

Upvote 0
yeah i like the physical keys no accidental hits. And ill take the X anyday over a samsung those phones are junk rooted or not. And you dont even know there is most likely going to be a huge shortage of those look at the inc they couldnt keep up when that was on one carrier they have the galaxy phones on just about every carrier how are they going to keep up with production for those kinds of numbers???

Upvote 0
yeah i like the physical keys no accidental hits. And ill take the X anyday over a samsung those phones are junk rooted or not. And you dont even know there is most likely going to be a huge shortage of those look at the inc they couldnt keep up when that was on one carrier they have the galaxy phones on just about every carrier how are they going to keep up with production for those kinds of numbers???

Those phones look ok, but I read that they feel like cheap plastic (like the Pre).

Upvote 0
You have some great points, however samsung does not have a great history with phones and aside from the screen the build quality is very poor even from some of the hands on articles I've read about the galaxy s...one article I recall directly stating the phone was made out of "cheap plastic"...to me the droid x feels high quality and very durable...physical keys do not bother me either

Upvote 0

There's a shortage of AMOLED screens for HTC phones because they're made by Samsung, and Samsung is reserving most of their production capacity for Super AMOLED screens for the Galaxy S (and Wave).

Samsung has plenty of capacity to make the screens for their own phones, in other words.

Upvote 0
As a now former Samsung Omnia user I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it'll be a cold day on the face of the sun before I own another Samsung phone.

Hopefully the Galaxy S devices will be a positive step up for Samsung...

hahaha that is funny, I'm coming from a omnia as well. I loved it in the beginning, but then the touch screen became dead in a lot of spots, and just didn't work like it should after about a year. It sure made me have little respect for them.

Upvote 0
i love the physical buttons, cause i have pretty sausagey hands that always end up hitting the capacitive buttons on accident. i played with the samsung vibrant for tmobile today, and although i enjoyed the way the UI looked, i hated the way the phone felt. it felt cheap and plastic, i thought it was a demo, the phone felt so light that i didnt think there were any components inside.

Upvote 0
hahaha that is funny, I'm coming from a omnia as well. I loved it in the beginning, but then the touch screen became dead in a lot of spots, and just didn't work like it should after about a year. It sure made me have little respect for them.

HEHE same here.

i flashed roms to my omnia 1, then flashed the touchscreen sensitivity patch but still the phone was soso. i hated the touchwiz ui. It definitely lags the phone. The quality, as with all samsung phones, was crap. The details and little accents all wore off within 4 months, leaving behind a very bad taste in my mouth. Now that i think of it, all the samsung phones i have had, had this issue as far as build quality.

the only thing the galaxy has that is better is the screen (Pentile matrix not my cup of tea its clarity is worse than lcd but it boosts saturation and contrast so the blacks/ colors pop). Also, the cpu/gpu although I dont think the touchwiz ui has improved on the fascinate, it in fact slows down the phone.good luck rooting it. some people are having issues rooting the galaxy s with the known method, its a shame really.

I was considering getting the unlocked galaxy S from samsung(not the fascinate). That is really the best way to go if you are considering this phone, since the fascinate from verizon is
neutered.
Unfortunately, i feel the droid X is a much better phone both build and future support-wise. Time will tell, but samsung has a horrible reputation regarding both those aspects.

IF you(OP) are really serious about this phone, the galaxy S is the best option. SINCE YOU(OP) CLAIM, that you only buy the best of the best.... why would you buy the gimped FASCINATE? That just doesnt make sense.

Overall, i find these kind of threads as a form of self justification. I have never gone into the incredible threads and told them why i think so and so is a better phone. Nor when i went from a lexus to a beemer, I didnt go and post that im leaving behind a lexus to a much better bmw( solely my opinion). This behaviour is quite childish and just funny to me. Anyway you look at it, the bottom line still stands.

Upvote 0
As a now former Samsung Omnia user I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it'll be a cold day on the face of the sun before I own another Samsung phone.

Hopefully the Galaxy S devices will be a positive step up for Samsung...

lol...Its funny, I mentioned something similar at Droid site and had a few ppl basically saying that was u, alot of ppl didnt have a bad experience with it. I guess thats kinda true with most phones.

The Omnia screen was so bad I thought I needed a physical keyboard with a touchscreen. I may try another Samsung in the future.

Reception would be my biggest issue with Samsung phones. If that turned out to be good, I can give them a try again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones