1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why I think I should return my Bionic

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by moparharn, Sep 16, 2011.

1. moparharn

moparharn Member

Costco allows 14 days for return, and 90 days for exchange. If they don't stock the phone I want, what is there to exchange for?
    1. My bionic keeps turning itself off and everything goes dead. The only way to wake it is to pull the battery and start it up again.
    2. The phone is randomly vibrating once several times a day.
    3. I can hardly feel the vibrate function.
    4. The front facing camera does not work in everything I have tried to use it with.
    5. The phone will not connect to my Ford sync automatically, I must connect manually on the car's radio.
    6. The phone randomly removes apps from my home screen and puts them back in the app drawer.
    7. Battery life on stock battery is pretty good, but not good enough.

In general the phone feels and looks really good, the best phone I have owned to date if the problems above were not present. I think I better get this phone returned before 14 days or I could be stuck with something that might not get it's issues fixed. Were the Prime available today it would be a non issue, but will costco carry the prime? They definitely won't be carrying the Iphone 5. Getting a little nervous with my decision and the way the phone is behaving. The price and accessories I got from Costco were unbeatable. Tough decision. :(

Advertisement

2. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast

It really sounds like you just have a lemon unit - I haven't experienced any of the issues you list (except #6), and I don't think I'm alone. Of course, it's up to you if you want to risk another Bionic or not, but those aren't issues across the line.

5. I don't have a Ford, can't comment on this one.
    6. There is a known issue with apps that have been moved to the "media area" disappearing off the home screen. Could this be the case? Plenty of threads on this subject, I'm sure this is an OS issue rather than a phone issue.

3. milrtime83

milrtime83 Android Enthusiast

1, 2 and 4, sound like warranty issues.
    3 may just be a preference, but I think it does feel weaker than other phones I've had.
    5 no experience
    6 probably related to #1
    7 No 4g phone has an exceptional battery yet

I would say absolutely replace it with a different Bionic.
    3, 5, and 7 should be your only possible reasons for a straight return and wait for something else.

4. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

First of all, even with the problems, you are better off than with an iPhone ;)

1. You have a rogue app or bad device
    2. Ditto
    3. The vibration is kind of wimpy
    4. That will be the case for most Androids (fragmentation)
    5. Seems kind of picky to be concerned about and same issue with others (due to fragmentation).
    6. Wonder if app related, since some have the issue and others do not.
    7. Do not get another 4G device this year then, since same issue due to 45nm LTE chips. Next year's devices should have the 28nm LTE chips. Should be better then.

redraider1 likes this.
  5. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Android Expert

I can comment on #1.
    I have had one random reboot and on "freeze" up in the last week. Other than that its been fine

6. mlawson

mlawson Lurker

Since I have not had any issues with my device yet I cannot comment on all the problems you are having

But as for #5 with myFord Sync, Thats just a Ford problem. I have a 2012 Ford Focus and though i have no problems with the car or phone I do have problems with Ford's software. The problem with Ford is that they are several years behind in technology. myFord Touch and Sync still do not support the first gen Ipod Touches which only goes up to i believe iOS 3.x.x or something. They also don't support many new phones that are out now which is a problem and they don't keep up on their software to make updates for new phones.

If this really is a major concern then i would suggest getting a new car instead of a different phone. Sync and Touch are nice but they are definitely not needed.

7. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast

Absolutely - this is the best route. I need something that matches my pewter colored Droid. And that probably calls for new Oakleys as well, just to be thorough. And maybe new Dr. Dres. And new shoes.

Oops, is my girly side showing? :p

8. moparharn

moparharn Member

My droid x connected with my vehicle just fine a week ago before I got the Bionic, why won't my new phone?

I really decided to get this phone primarily so I could see my family members as they have moved away. Not being able to see each other is a huge disappointment.

If these issues do not get fixed, the best I can hope for is an exchange for a device that may be something I really do not want (Costco may not get the other good devices coming out). I am worried about getting stuck with the phone if I don't return it before 14 days. The exchange for a unit that is working properly will likely take me out of the 14 days window, and what if it has issues as well? Better safe than sorry. I think it must go back for a return.:mad:

9. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Lol... classic Rush, throwin Apple under the bus...hahaha.

To the OP...take it back man and get another, u deff got a lemon.

10. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

hahahahahaha! Already ordered the new Benz truck in Pewter ..

11. mlawson

mlawson Lurker

Exactly because of that. Its a new phone. Ford Doesn't update their software based on upcoming phones and such. Right now the only problem I have with it is that when I make or receive a call it doesnt show the persons name or number therefore when connected i have to answer every phone call which is annoying but its liveable.

If you're connected to Sync via bluetooth just dial with the phone and it should push through to the speakers.

12. rajaji

rajaji Newbie

Exchange for a replacement is the best option for the writer of the first post. My Bionic has been very good. I put it in 3G since day 2, and the battery usually goes 2 days with light use, 1 day with WiFi or GPS use. 4 hours on 4G.

I downloaded Skype, and the other person could not see me as the front camera would not work on that program. The app info said there was support for the thunderbolt but not Bionic. Maybe in a few weeks. Wish I knew how to test if the front camera works.

Only somewhat negative comment is that on my phone, the phone voice quality is somewhat tinny, though the speaker is great and using a headset, audio is superb when listening to music, whether my own or online like Pandora. I guess no phone is perfect. It's such a dramatic advance over my Samsung Omnia, it is probably a keeper for me. I too have a week to go to decide.

13. Travisimo

Travisimo Android Enthusiast

A couple of things to try regarding Ford Sync:

1) Make sure you are using the latest version of Sync. You can check for a Sync update by going to syncmyride.com. If there is an update available, use a USB thumb drive to update your Sync.

2) Make sure you have your phone set up for Phone and Media. Go to your Bluetooth settings on the phone. Click and hold the Sync item and then click on Options. Make sure that both Phone and Media are selected. I initially only had mine connected for Media and it wouldn't automatically connect either.

14. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member

Instead of having the phone scan for Sync, have Sync scan for the phone when pairing, see if that works. I think it's a bug on the phone, not Sync.

15. dguy

dguy Android Expert

The phone has been extremely reliable for me overall, probably more reliable than any other launch Android device I've had. I'd try exchanging yours for another since some of the issues you have are not issues everyone is experiencing.

16. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Ditto on getting a replacement.

17. d6racer

d6racer Newbie

Only issue I have is the mysterious moving app problem.

I got 20 hours out of my battery yesterday with a pretty decent amount of use.

18. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member

Stock camera app has an icon on the screen that allows you to flip between the front and read cameras. It is located on the right hand side, above the shutter.

19. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

My bionic started rebooting itself on the 3rd day as well as removing my apps. now its randomly rebooting daily and i must say having to go to the market to re download my favorite apps is quite annoying.
    today i wanted to do a picture test. people have said that the camera is good but the software that runs it is bad. well here is my results of my bionic and my thunderbolt.

BIONIC, i tried taking the pic 2 times but it seems it just can't focus correctly
    [​IMG]

THUNDERBOLT
    [​IMG]

I know the resolution on the bionic is higher then the thunderbolt but when i look at the bionic screen i can see the pixels which is not good. night time low lighting pic/video is horrible so grainy.
    is my bionic defective or are you guys having the same experience?