1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Why I will be returning my verizon GNex

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tonmarchelli, Dec 19, 2011.

1. tonmarchelli

tonmarchelli Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Ive had this phone since release date. the mechanics of the phone is great, love the screen, love ICS, camera is great. and battery life is great with the extended battery. i love everything about this phone with the exception of 2 things.

1) external speaker volume is super low, even on max settings. I can work around that by tweaking with my custom alert volume levels before installing them on the phone.

2) This is the big one. the signal strength of this phone is terrible. in my area (west phoenix) verizon is very strong. on my old Droid X and Iphone 4. in certain areas where i work, ill have either 2 or 3 bars. and signal strength around -80 or -90 dbm. with my Gnex, in the same exact places ill consinistly get 0 bars and -120dbm which if im correct is pretty much zero signal.

I have yet to call verizon tech support and possibly do a reprogram or swap for a new phone. but based on other posts and such, and if a software update is in the works to fix this I dont think that i can gamble on it and possibley be stuck with a phone that doesnt work for the next 2 years.

but in order for a phone to be great, it must first be a phone. 300 dollars upgrade price for a phone that doesnt do well as a phone is a total deal breaker for me.

bummer too becaause apart from the signal, this device has everything i want in a phone. Ill probably just re-activate my iphone 4 and wait until the next batch of phones comes out.

Advertisement

2. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2009
    All issues that I have as well. I am going into VZW to talk to them today. If they don't confirm it is software related and on my account, I am returning the phone.

Volume: I sort of fixed this with Volume+ suggested in other forums. However, this is a holster phone for me now because vibrate is useless.

Signal: Everyone is saying this is software related. If so, VZW should just announce it and that a fix is on the way. Unfortunately, that is not coming out. How long should we hold a phone that has a potential HW defect?

When I do have a 4G signal, it is decent. No where near others with 4G LTE, but faster than 3G by a mile.

3. litrekid

litrekid Member
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    Chrysler
    kokomo, indiana
    Completely understand that. I have lost about 10-20 dbm with this phone from my dx but I still get 90-100 so at least I have a signal. I'm going to bet on a good update. If that doesn't pan out I figure I can put it on eBay and get enough out of it for a full retail purchase of a new phone. Good thing about a nexus, better resale.

4. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    I had one bought with the low (to none) 4G signal last night. I think it's software related. It's been very good otherwise.

5. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Derivative Trader - AIG "JK"
    Maine USA
    I am sorry to say, unless either Google or VZW comes out and admits there is an issue and tells people they are working on a OTA fix, they will be loosing quite a few customers :(:(

6. JBH

JBH Newbie
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    Furthermore, everyone needs to realize that if the week signal issue is related to antenna/hardware it can't be fixed with a software update. Period.

Looks like to love this phone you are going to have to be an apologist for poor reception. How can a company with Sammy's resources not be able to build a phone with reception that's not at least "in the ballpark" with the Motos and HTCs of the world? Folks a difference of 20 dBm is not "in the ballpark" and will prove to be troublesome.

7. tonmarchelli

tonmarchelli Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Just solidified the decision. spoke with VZW tech support. no help really. unable to reprogram antenna for possible reset there. she states they can see it is a known problem and there is a fix in the works (what im not sure??) but she stated it wont be rolled out until March. Sorry..... not worth waiting that long.

Returning phone today, re-activating iphone again and waiting for next batch of android phones to come out in 2012. she did mention that they are set to release a
    "droid Razr pro" in january. we'll see.......

8. Theibault

Theibault Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Does anyone actually drop calls are all of you fixated on "numbers"?

ska.t73, Outatime and Premium1 like this.
  9. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    N/W Ohio
    Expect to return the phone because you will be talking to the wrong people.

10. tonmarchelli

tonmarchelli Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2009

In an area where i got 3-4 bars and -80dbm on my old phone. im 0 bars and -120 with the Gnex. im dropping calls and even having text messages fail to go out.

11. Titan

Titan Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2009

12. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    Risk Management
    Harrisburg, PA
    Not that it helps, but my reception has been great. Harrisburg, PA area.

Premium1 likes this.
  13. Premium1

None

Dec 3, 2011
    Same area and also have good reception. dbm is a little higher but I have not dropped data or any calls. Calls sounds really clear. And the droid x had a low speaker at first and they fixed it via an ota. And they are working on a fix for the signal that some are having. Verizon Support: Update to Address Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength in the Works – Droid Life

14. Crudes

Crudes Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Network issues are AWFUL! That being said, if the Samsung CHARGE has the same LTE radio as the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, this phone will get better with some bug fixes.

I just stopped by a Verizon store to test a couple of the phones there because my LTE signal has been horrible. Every 4G phone in the store was receiving better reception. I have until January 15th to decide if I will keep this phone. I think its the best phone I've ever owned, but if 4G reception isn't fixed I will find something else.

You really should give it a month. The Samsung Charge was also regarded as AWFUL 4G service, but while at the Verizon store today I got pretty good reception on the Charge with -70 dHb while the Nexus was at -105 dHb. I have to expect it will get better.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  15. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Michigan
    I am so torn on wether or not to return this phone. I have until the 29th. The battery is a concern for me. I also think the screen is just too damn big and the camera is a joke. But there is an awful lot to like about it especially since this will be the only android phone that I can get with stock android at least until the next Nexus phone comes out.

16. essplode

essplode Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    At least they are "looking into it" :/

How are you guys checking the actual signal strength (decibles)?

To be fair though, in my house I get pretty good reception (between 3 and 4 bars) and at work I get 0 bars (but thats always been the case)

17. schimm

schimm Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 1, 2010
    This seems to be the most prudent course instead of doing a knee jerk return (unless you are constantly off the signal). The phone has been out for four days and we have to mid January for a full refund/return. I'd hate to return it now and then get something else only to find the radio problems have been fixed. Love the big screen...worked around the google bar issue with Nova....my only other complaint is that the email (not gmail) widget does not update reliably. But I can live with that.

18. schimm

schimm Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 1, 2010
    settings/about phone/status

.....easier to use a free app from the market.

19. Raftysworld

Raftysworld Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I've taken a few embedded systems classes, and I can assure you that if some thought went into the design of the Nexus (which i'm sure it did), then it's quite likely that signal CAN be improved with a software update.

Software can easily control the voltage output of the antenna, as a basic example. Boost the output voltage, and you boost the strength of the antenna. Now, it's not that simple because all else being equal, this will also decrease battery life. But the point is that there almost surely is something that can be done on the software end of things.

With that said, I've also seen that the dB readings are worse for the Nexus than other phones, but I have had service (and no service) in all the same areas, and i have yet to drop a call or have any worse data speeds. So I would definitely say it isn't a problem for me.

kcs7272, Premium1 and Sandroidfan like this.
  20. elmerjr128

elmerjr128 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 5, 2011

Wow, you didn't give it much time, did you?

1) Download Volume+ in the market. It's free.
    2) Verizon Support: Update to Address Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength in the Works

Eloquence and TechnoGeek4Lif like this.
  21. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    Galaxy Nexus Experiencing Signal Problems? Verizon Looking into a Fix

i'm pretty sure by March we will have at least 2 updates by then. 4.0.3 is set to drop on us in the next two weeks.

22. TechnoGeek4Lif

None

Dec 19, 2011
    I came from a Droid Bionic and while the reception on this phone is a little worse in the office I am currently at today, over all the phone is much better than the Droid Bionic. I have not dropped data once. The wifi picks up immediately when I get home or I go somewhere that I have wifi saved. The bluetooth works flawlessly. I am not going back to the bionic.

Actually my mom is getting my bionic.

23. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    All this horror stories on Gnex signal makes really nervous on getting Nexus. Strangely the user reviews on VZW site seems overwhelmingly positive.

Also I suspect that dBm on Nexus is including data radio speed and others are just showing 1X phone signal. This is because data speed on browser and apps seems similar to other LTE phones. So it's probably not big issue as long as it doesn't drop signal. I will probably rely on speed test app and browsing test for signal strength measure instead of dBm or signal bar for now. Maybe software update will fix that.

24. dyno

dyno Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    4 bars of 4G in Pittsburgh. Speedtest.net download 12Mbps, upload 8. Volume is fine by me, but yea vibrate is kinda weak.

25. kisby

kisby Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    Male
    I think this is the third thread from someone who is returning their GN. I think it's legit to discuss the issues this phone may have, but why do people feel the need to tell us they are returning it? Just asking.

By the way. I am returning a coat that I bough my wife for Christmas. I don't like the buttons. I thought you would all want to know.

budwizer, htom, ska.t73 and 2 others like this.
Tags: