1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Root why im leaving gb

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by faber78, Apr 2, 2011.

1. faber78

faber78 Guest
    None
    For a good while, I think Im ditching gb.
    Reasons:
    - I dont like the wifi hot spot issues (I dont trust moto or verizon, yes I realize this came from only moto....that doesnt mean they dont ever work together, obviously).
    - I dont like all the bloat ware; it seems like I cant nail down what I can remove. I can remove some apps and be fine, others and be fine; but any certain combination of certain ones and I get fc on the dialer.
    - I want to give the developers we trust (fission/liberty) a good amount of time to get through it.
    - I was looking through some of the manifest stuff on the settings (heard someone say they thought that was were the hidden wifi junk is) and didnt really feel comfortable with some of the stuff I was seeing. (Like I have a clue though).
    - Though it does seem smoother, I dont see the improvements being worth the things that make me uncomfortable.
    - I do not buy the quadrant scores....which means either Im wrong, or someone wrote a script (or whatever) to help bring the scores up.
    - Lastly, I much much prefer the fission 261 set up and having a significant gain in my knowledge about what is running and what isnt.

On that note; I have every intention of donating again/and more to the guys I trust to do further work on roms for this version, as there are other devices out now they can work on and it is probably somewhat like starting over.

Just my thoughts.

Advertisement

fatpomp, gmenfan83 and VoidedSaint like this.
  2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    im with you, im going to flash back for liberty 2.0

3. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert
    None

lol i almost refuse to leave the set up i have now running darkslide, i have not had a single problem and have left everything the way it is for months lol,,,im too scared to mess with it , sure i love to tinker with my x and change stuff up but i flashed almost everything out and just do not want to try to fix something thats clearly not broken,,,so no gb for me either:D

4. ad720

ad720 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    As of yesterday I am back to my Apex nandroid as well.

WIFI weirdness, exchange support problems, data timeouts, bloatware...

That being said I am really excited about what the Devs will come up with based on the GB ROM!

5. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I may be in the minority here but I bricked my phone going from GB back to froyo. My fault but I was fortunate to get the phone replaced. I loaded up my new stock phone with LP and to tell you the truth I had a hard time telling any difference in performace from any of the cusom roms I had been running. I did root and froze a bit of blote (did not delete) via Tibu and installed quick clock. I ran all day yesterday with a fast smooth phone and had over 70 percent of my battery left. I am at the point where I truely believe this phone works just as fine with stock and another launcher as with any custom rom.

With the OG droid custom roms made a huge difference but I am just not seeing it other than the themes available. And with LP my phone basically looks the same regardless of the theme I use. Dont get me wrong I am very, very happy with the performance but I am not seeing any great differece with GB or any other custom rom. My 2 cents...

6. RWil85

RWil85 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    +1

I've had Apex 1.4.1 loaded since the day it dropped and no problems since..some people swear by GB as the greatest thing they've ever seen and others are saying its severely flawed.

Only reason I might try it is to just see for myself (and then be pisses that id have to flash back my nandroid backup of apex haha)

7. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    I completely understand your issues...but there are some things id like to point out..

so what you're saying is...you don't like the fact that Moto/VZW may have found a way to somewhat close a loophole that allowed you to void your warranty, and (borderline) illegally access a feature for free that you're supposed to pay extra for??...

this is one that is tough for me...i mean i understand the appeal of tethering but it is a "pay to play" feature, that uses someone else's resources (Verizon, or your ISP, whatever you're tethering), and puts extra strain on THEIR network...but you're upset that they may have found a way to stop that...

eh, im just not understanding that...

Nobody LIKES the bloatware...but again we don't know what kind of business deals go on that make it possible for us to have these phones for the prices we pay....

i'd be interested to see a list of what you're trying to remove when you get the problems, because i've frozen quite a bit of the bloatware and had no ill effects from it...

not only that i've had no positive effects from it either so I also wonder why you couldn't just leave it be or freeze it with titanium...if its not running and sucking resources then why try to remove it?

i completely understand these ideas, i just must be missing the connections to what could possibly cause someone to be uncomfortable with what is going on with GingerBlur

8. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Android Expert
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    FL
    Why did you need a replacement phone? You could've just used the sbf file and been right back to stock.

9. rehpyc

rehpyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    This is the second instance I've read on these forums just today alone of someone jumping the gun on an untested copy of GB and then ruining their phone to the point of needing to send it in for replacement. Either play with leaked stuff at your own risk (whether it be through installing it or reverting back to Froyo) and accept the consequences, or wait until things have been worked out by devs. Sending a phone YOU bricked in for replacement is the reason phone manufacturers/carriers are having the phones be locked down.

10. eraursls1984

None

Sep 7, 2010
    FL
    I left because the main feature I use is browsing and it made that a major PITA. My tabs would reload before I even got to them while I was still browsing, or if I used any other programs. On Froyo I can use most programs without it causing my tabs to reload (ex. rhapsody) the dialer is the only thing that use to cause the tabs to reload. When I type a response in the forums it's next to impossible to go back and fix a mistake or reword my comment unless I delete everything after the mistake and retype, this is not a problem at all on Froyo or Eclair.

GB also lags for me on any other launcher than stock, and stock can't do what I need it to so I have to sacrifice what I want out of my launcher or have a lagging experince and I don't have to sacrifice either on Froyo with Liberty

11. mrstealthusmc

mrstealthusmc Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    i too flashed back to froyo. liberty was so good to me, i had to go back. plus, i was getting terrible battery life on gingerblur, and had a lot of lagging and stuttering of my phone. dont get me wrong, i liked what i was seeing, but the battery issue ad the lagging killed it for me. luckily, sbf on linux is so damn easy...

12. eraursls1984

None

Sep 7, 2010
    FL
    Not to mention we have the tools to fix it if it bricks anyway so there's no risk of ruining the phone, and no need for a replacement.

I'm with you though, when we do get an update that we don't have a sbf that will fix it if it bricks I think it's messed up that those people get new phones, they should just wait until a sbf comes out because they always do and it's THEIR fault, not Moto's, not Verizon's, but their own fault

Outlaw71 and twistedlim like this.
  13. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    Agree completely, it's for these reasons that Moto locks their bootloaders down so tight, to try and prevent people from messing with their devices. However, it also makes it easier for said people to mess up their devices. :eek:

14. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    I just wanted to throw out a few thoughts here:

Deleting pieces of the framework isn't "removing bloatware." Removing bloatware is killing the apps that they include like Madden or CityID or whatever.

If you're getting force closes on the dialer, you are removing pieces of the OS. Which, generally speaking, will not improve performance and are not visible in any way in the system. It may satisfy an OCD urge to pare it down as much as possible (believe me, I sympathize) but be careful labeling it as bloatware. It's basic system functionality.

This sounds odd. What are you referring to?

You don't script to bring the scores up. The scores are determined by running a test and timing the length of execution. Stagefright actually skipped a test which is why it caused a jump in scores, but that does not seem to be the case here. Tests are executing, they just streamlined the execution. It's not like the scores went that crazy, it's a couple hundred points above what I usually got in Froyo. Stagefright boosted the scores by many hundreds of points.

Only bringing up a counterpoint - we should all use what works best for us!

15. Fit101

Fit101 Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    I SBF'd back to stock back on Thursday shortly after I installed GB. I then installed Liberty 2.0 after running 1.5 and 1.0 with such great luck. Too many things I didn't like about GBto outweigh the good. Liberty just plain old runs smooth and strong!

16. Randroid123

Randroid123 Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2010
    1. Believe the quadrant score, its a much more streamline OS, watch how quickly you get through the Data write process during the quadrant, as well as the smooth video with high rate of FPS... Its that fast.

2. Guys that went back to Froyo that day, you messed up. Your phone DOES in fact need to learn a new OS. Your processor will become comfortable with it and it will be smooth. LPP was lagging for me the first day or two also... Now I have all 7 screens stacked with widgets and icons and the scrolling and screen previews never lag. Its just fast. Go back to GB, use it alot for a day, and you will see whats up.

17. apavolka

apavolka Android Enthusiast
    None

May 15, 2010
    Plumbing Supply House
    Flagstaff, AZ
    This is why I REFUSED to give up when my phone wouldn't SBF. I had that thought for a minute but was thinking about this and decided I would keep trying and if anything, buy one off of craigslist or something.

Back on topic, I don't find anything wrong with GB IMO. I know it all depends on what people want but I have no regrets leaving my old setup for this.

18. keegan1014

keegan1014 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Too many horror stories for me on gb so I when from liberty 1.5 to apex to rubix to fission now on liberty 2.0 & guess what there all good and zero problems with any of them, so this is where I'm hanging.

19. bouchigo

bouchigo Android Expert
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    Production Engineer Mngr.
    Stockton, CA
    GB is running nice and smooth for me, no issues.

I wouldn't donate for Liberty 2.0 since I'm not going to use it; if they release a version for GB I will gladly donate ;)

20. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I will post this then be done with this topic. First of all I did admit it was MY mistake. Second the friendly salesman at Costco said I could bring it back if I had any problems with my phone during the warranty period ROOTED OR NOT. And he was solid to his word.
    Second I did try to sbf and to no avail. It was toast from where I stood. I was going to go to CL to get another if I had to.
    Third, I don't think the locked bootloader is a mechanism for Motorola to keep us from tinkering with our phones. I have absolutley no evidence to back this up but perhaps the bootloader is set up for THEIR convience and not ours. Again I am not privy to any secrets nor am I a developer but I find it hard to believe a company as large as Moto would waste time and effort to lock down a phone to keep us from rooting properly. Think about it..if you approached 1000 X owners you would be hard pressed to find 50 who have even heard of root. Out of that 50 manby 10 have rooted. Out of that 10 maybe, just maybe someone returns a phone that they feel they have bricked. It makes no financial sense to put up firewalls where there is no fire.
    Lastly I really believe Motorola and other manufacturers designers and engineers watch sites like this not to see how they can foil us, but to gain the knowlege that some pretty brilliant developers bring to the table. It is free engineering for them.

My orignal post simply stated that despite valliant efforts of some pretty darn smart people the stock rom is pretty hard to approve on and I stand by that.

Thank you for all the kind words and insuations. Much appreciated. Look at my past posts both here and on the OG Droid board. I have tried to be curtious, helpful and respecful. I only ask the same.

gmenfan83, magic1 and darkside like this.
  21. kastleberg

kastleberg Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    I had quite a few glitches. Flashed back and went for liberty 2.0. Lovin this. Hope the liberty team pumps out something nice for GB, or any good developers really. Til then, I can wait.

bouchigo likes this.
  22. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    +1 re. this ^^^.

There's a host of performance improvements for GB, including (courtesy of
    Gingerbread developers have new toys to play with | Android Central):

New base Linux kernel version

Starting at the bottom of the Gingerbread pyramid, the Linux kernel has been updated to 2.6.35. This is the kernel version that third-party ROM developers have been using for a while, and it provides more stability and speed. Look for the new stock kernel to show some of the improvements we're used to from custom kernels in use today.

New media framework

OpenCore (the current Froyo media framework) has been completely replaced. All the previous codec support has been maintained, and support for new technology like VP8 video compression, and WebM video containers has been implemented. Gingerbread is set up and ready to keep pace with the newest audio and video files as they are produced.

Networking

Besides the new SIP calling stack, and Near Field Communication support we're all talking about, there's a new BlueZ stack in Gingerbread. Bluetooth 2.1 support means better Bluetooth performance across a wide array of BT devices. That's something we all will love to see.

The Dalvik runtimes

There has been quite a few improvements to the Dalvik virtual machine (that's what was improved with a just-in-time compiler (JIT) in Froyo and makes things fast). For the end user, all we really need to know is that it should run a little faster, especially while rendering web pages. Here's the full list of changes for the hardcore Android geeks:

Dalvik VM:

• Concurrent garbage collector (target sub-3ms pauses)
    • Adds further JIT (code-generation) optimizations
    • Improved code verification
    • StrictMode debugging, for identifying performance and memory issues

Core libraries:

• Expanded I18N support (full worldwide encodings, more locales)
    • Faster Formatter and number formatting. For example, float formatting is 2.5x faster.
    • HTTP responses are gzipped by default. XML and JSON API response sizes may be reduced by 60% or more.
    • New collections and utilities APIs
    • Improved network APIs
    • Improved file read and write controls
    • Updated JDBC

Raptor912 likes this.
  23. Raptor912

Raptor912 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Operations Director-International Relations and Se
    SoCal (Formerly in LV & PacNW)
    First of all, I love reading scary's posts! I don't understand half of it, but I enjoy them; so thank you!

Second, I have been on GB for about 3 days now. I have kept it pretty simple from the start. Adding only 3-5 apps per day and pushing a little harder each day. It seems to me, in a very non scientific way, that each day that goes by it gets smoother, faster and no issues.

I just added spare parts to speed up transitions a bit, so far so good!

I think I will stay with GB stock for a while then jump to a GB ROM once they release one.

scary alien likes this.
  24. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    I knoooow! Who understands him? I surely don't! ;)

scary alien likes this.
  25. faber78

faber78 Guest
    None
    ^exactly....and dont act surprised either. you understand it completely.
    and do us all a favor and dont act like your better then thou or dont think we (at least a majority), dont do it.

^i could care less about their deals....if i dont want it on there; its coming off.
    as far as the list of apps; i froze them as well and all worked fine, when i uninstalled them i got the fc. on fission i can uninstall whatever i want and no fc....you do the math.

^then your not thinking real hard.