• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root why im leaving gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 re. this ^^^.

There's a host of performance improvements for GB, including (courtesy of
Gingerbread developers have new toys to play with | Android Central):

New base Linux kernel version

Starting at the bottom of the Gingerbread pyramid, the Linux kernel has been updated to 2.6.35. This is the kernel version that third-party ROM developers have been using for a while, and it provides more stability and speed. Look for the new stock kernel to show some of the improvements we're used to from custom kernels in use today.

New media framework

OpenCore (the current Froyo media framework) has been completely replaced. All the previous codec support has been maintained, and support for new technology like VP8 video compression, and WebM video containers has been implemented. Gingerbread is set up and ready to keep pace with the newest audio and video files as they are produced.

Networking

Besides the new SIP calling stack, and Near Field Communication support we're all talking about, there's a new BlueZ stack in Gingerbread. Bluetooth 2.1 support means better Bluetooth performance across a wide array of BT devices. That's something we all will love to see.

The Dalvik runtimes

There has been quite a few improvements to the Dalvik virtual machine (that's what was improved with a just-in-time compiler (JIT) in Froyo and makes things fast). For the end user, all we really need to know is that it should run a little faster, especially while rendering web pages. Here's the full list of changes for the hardcore Android geeks:

Dalvik VM:

• Concurrent garbage collector (target sub-3ms pauses)
  • Adds further JIT (code-generation) optimizations
  • Improved code verification
  • StrictMode debugging, for identifying performance and memory issues

Core libraries:

• Expanded I18N support (full worldwide encodings, more locales)
  • Faster Formatter and number formatting. For example, float formatting is 2.5x faster.
  • HTTP responses are gzipped by default. XML and JSON API response sizes may be reduced by 60% or more.
  • New collections and utilities APIs
  • Improved network APIs
  • Improved file read and write controls
  • Updated JDBC
we all know quadrant isnt an exact way to test anything....period.
and like you said; its just a couple 100 points....so what do i care?

Upvote 0
I just wanted to throw out a few thoughts here:

Deleting pieces of the framework isn't "removing bloatware." Removing bloatware is killing the apps that they include like Madden or CityID or whatever.

If you're getting force closes on the dialer, you are removing pieces of the OS. Which, generally speaking, will not improve performance and are not visible in any way in the system. It may satisfy an OCD urge to pare it down as much as possible (believe me, I sympathize) but be careful labeling it as bloatware. It's basic system functionality.
^lets see, i believe it was yahoo, yahoo something, and a couple other things that shouldnt have had anything to do with the dialer....ive got an idea of what is dialer related....why the other things are connected to the dialer in this case is beyond me. and believe me, i tried many variations of removal (see original post).
but thanks for the explanation.

This sounds odd. What are you referring to?
^again, i cant remember exactly. i believe it said some weird things like translucent something or other and invisible keyboard and some of the other strings....not claiming i know a lot; it just made my suspicion even more so.

You don't script to bring the scores up. The scores are determined by running a test and timing the length of execution. Stagefright actually skipped a test which is why it caused a jump in scores, but that does not seem to be the case here. Tests are executing, they just streamlined the execution. It's not like the scores went that crazy, it's a couple hundred points above what I usually got in Froyo. Stagefright boosted the scores by many hundreds of points.

Only bringing up a counterpoint - we should all use what works best for us!
^and again; we all know quadrant isnt an exact science.... it has been done to cheat quadrant scores; and even if that isnt the case....which it probably isnt; it was just a theory; one that im willing to bring up.
im also willing to admit it ran smoother, so it entirely possible the scores were valid.

Upvote 0
Listen; lets clear something up. I didnt start this thread to be put on the defensive. And before someone says; "Your just getting defensive....blah, blah."
I started this thread to give my reasons for no longer using gb. Also to see if anyone else felt that way or had their reasons for not using it. See the title;
"why i'm leaving gb"
does it say, "Hey, what do you think about gb?"....nope....pretty sure there is enough of those threads around.

Upvote 0
things have been going down hill and gb is just the beginning, wake up.

just read this;
Some Food for Thought - Bootloaders, Rooting, Manufacturers, and Carriers

"Moving along, December marked a low point for me. The information started to firm up, and I was able to verify it through multiple channels. This information made the previous information look like a day in the park. So what was new?
1. Multiple carriers were working collaboratively on a program that would be able to identify rooted users and create a database of their meids.
2. Manufacturers who supply Verizon were baking into the roms new security features:

a. one security feature would identify any phone using a tether program to circumvent paying for tethering services. (check your gingerbread DroidX/Droid2 people and try wireless tether)
b. a second security feature would allow the phone to identify itself to the network if rooted.
c. security item number 2 would be used to track, throttle, even possibly restrict full data usage of these rooted phones."

edit: i have no doubt this is just the beginning, they leaked more then just a leak....the bootloader will not be unlocked; security and other things will only tighten....i have no doubt.
take it how you want, but tethering is just the beginning, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Listen; lets clear something up. I didnt start this thread to be put on the defensive. And before someone says; "Your just getting defensive....blah, blah."
I started this thread to give my reasons for no longer using gb. Also to see if anyone else felt that way or had their reasons for not using it. See the title;
"why i'm leaving gb"
does it say, "Hey, what do you think about gb?"....nope....pretty sure there is enough of those threads around.

Wow, I don't check in for a day and all hell breaks loose!
I'm not understanding the aggressive responses to this thread. Faber is just throwing out some thoughts about gb and it seems to turn into pissing match.
I'm not liking the transition from "cumbuya" forum to "stressed" due to rumor (not facts, yet) frenzy.
I won't say any more on the subject, cuz honestly it shouldn't go further that it has.

I will say, this post made me lol. :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones