1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support why is copy and paste terrible in the gmail app?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jogi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Jogi

Jogi Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I was wondering why the copy and paste function in the gmail app is terrible. It is really hard to use to select the text you want copied. You have to hit menu..> more..> select text. And then when selecting the text it is a one shot deal lol. It often takes me a few times to get it correct. Why isn't the copy and paste the same as when using the browser. In the browser it is silky smooth. You just long press the screen and the magnifier box pops up and you use the arrows to select the text. Just wondering why it does not work the same in the gmail app. You would think copy and paste would be uniform throughout.

Advertisement

2. Czarcat

Czarcat Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager
    The issue is HTC or Google. I guess it depends on how you look at it. ;)

HTC modifed android and the stock browser to include the nice copy/paste/select utility. That is not part of stock Android.

The gmail app isn't really a part of android. It's just an app you can download. So, HTC didn't (couldn't) modify it to use the same copy/paste/select utility. Instead, you get what Google provides.

3. calbruc

calbruc Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    NJ, USA
    I dont' have an answer to your question as to why it sucks. But I do have a work-around.

The Sense text selection pop-up works in all text entry fields. So if you need to copy something in an email you received, hit "reply," then, "respond inline." That way you get all the email's text in a spot where you can edit/cut/copy or whatever.

Hopefully Google will step it up and provide a better implementation soon. Maybe when we get pinch zoom. ;)

LeoBloom likes this.
  4. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    West Coast USA
    My favorite input method for a touchscreen phone is SWYPE. It's really outstanding, fast and fun. So much easier than striking the hard glass display. Check out the link below, and be sure to look at the video's.

I've been using SWYPE for nearly a year now and I can't hardly stand to type without it. It's so good I even like it better than the regular qwerty keyboards on my BlackBerry's of a few years ago.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

Cheers :)

5. jz94117

jz94117 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    You're so right. I have a Motorola Droid 2 Global and copy-paste sucks in Android's gmail.

Jim.