• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is Ereader so big

Shofar

Android Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2010
As I have used eReader (ereader.com) for years and have many books on my bookshelf, I downloaded it and installed it.

the installation says 748kb but when I look at the application manager it says Application 2.52MB and data 748KB I don't understand this. Why is the app so large and the data should all be on the sd card.

As I don't live in US, most books available are NOT available for me but I've got more than a hundred (most bought before the "localization ban" or very old and so cheap.
I enjoyed it on my Palm but it is much slower on the Desire.

Like you, I had used eReader as my primary eBook source and reader for over 10 years now. However the recent geographical restrictions have meant that most new books are not available outside of the US and Canada.

I've recently moved to Kindle (now available on Android Market) as the range of available books to me in the UK is much, much better than eReader and Fictionwise and seem to be significantly cheaper!!

In terms of the installed applications, eReader takes up 2.52MB on my Desire too .... I have another 15MB of data stored on the SD card for all of my books. I used it mostly on a Compaq iPaq pda before moving to the Desire and have found it to be as quick as before.

The Kindle App is even bigger at 3.44MB. I'm not too fussed about these sizings, as I'm just glad to be able to read all of my old books and have a cost effective source for new ones too!!

Reactions: Shofar
Upvote 0
Like you, I had used eReader as my primary eBook source and reader for over 10 years now. However the recent geographical restrictions have meant that most new books are not available outside of the US and Canada.

I've recently moved to Kindle (now available on Android Market) as the range of available books to me in the UK is much, much better than eReader and Fictionwise and seem to be significantly cheaper!!

In terms of the installed applications, eReader takes up 2.52MB on my Desire too .... I have another 15MB of data stored on the SD card for all of my books. I used it mostly on a Compaq iPaq pda before moving to the Desire and have found it to be as quick as before.

The Kindle App is even bigger at 3.44MB. I'm not too fussed about these sizings, as I'm just glad to be able to read all of my old books and have a cost effective source for new ones too!!

Good to know that the size is the same. I must have missread something when I installed.
As for Kindle, I don't know if it available in my Market. Before Desire I was thinking of buying the Kindle standalone but then it would not work in Israel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones