1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why is Google Browser app never updated?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by JoeSchmoe007, Nov 20, 2012.

1. JoeSchmoe007

JoeSchmoe007 Well-Known Member

How come Google Browser app is never updated? Isn't it strange considering how often Internet browsers for PC are updated if not for new functionality then fir various security fixes?

I run CM 7.1 now but even when I ran stock ROM I don't recall Browser was ever updated independently from whole ROM update.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Android Enthusiast

It is updated with new versions of Android.

The new browser is Chrome, which is independent of any ROM. It is in the market.

3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Thread move into Android Applications forum to receive some more feedback.

Otherwise, like ExtremeNerd said it is updated with new versions of Android...you can always check on update news via the Market. Here is a link to Chrome: Google Chrome

4. Shocky

Shocky Android Expert

It's a system application which is only updated with new versions of Android as far as I know, but saying that I've seen system apps receive updates before.

I'm guessing manufactures optimize/tweak the browsers for individual devices so having one file/update for all devices might not work as well.

Chrome is ok, but no flash support.

5. gregs887

gregs887 Android Enthusiast

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Google stopped supporting the Android stock browser. Chrome will be the default browser of phones using JellyBean (4.1) and onward.