1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Why is Google voice to text changing the punctuation, "!" to "exclamation point"??

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Jtodd76, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Jtodd76

Jtodd76 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    I will NEVER use Google voice to text to say, "exclamation point". I'm always wanting the punctuation. This just randomly started happening and I don't know how to fix this. I've also had the punctuation, "," actually changed to, "comma" or even "Kama"! What the hell is, "Kama"?? I only have the English language selected. Is there any way to correct this problem? I have a Galaxy S7 Edge with the latest updates and I use voice to text constantly. This is driving me crazy and can't find an answer how to resolve this problem.

Advertisement

2. Beckett727

Beckett727 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    This has been happening to me, also, for a few weeks now. I found I can get around the exclamation point thing by saying "exclamation MARK", which is just plain stupid, but it works. As for commas, yes, I either get the word Comma, the name Kama (who is some ancient god, would you believe it?!) and I have to tap it and then select the actual punctuation mark from the dropdown. Driving me crazy, also, and that's not much of a drive.

Jtodd76 likes this.
  3. Jtodd76

Jtodd76 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that for the "exclamation point" and use "exclamation mark" instead. That is pretty stupid for sure...but if it works, I'm happy. I'm so relieved I'm not alone with this problem. This didn't use to happen. I don't know why we don't seem to have the option to edit or remove words we'll NEVER use, such as, "Kama"! Give me a break. "Kama" What the hell?? How often are people actually wanting the word, "comma" when using voice to text instead of the punctuation? There needs to be a way to edit these problems.

4. Jtodd76

Jtodd76 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    "Exclamation MARK" works!!! Who knew? That's crazy. I looked it up and evidently, "exclamation mark" is the Commonwealth English way to say it and "exclamation point" is the American English way. Now, if we can only figure out another way to say, "COMMA"! Ha. Thanks again!

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Yes, as a Brit I'd never heard the term "exclamation point" until I met this thread.

Just a thought: you say you have "English" selected, but which English? If you have English as opposed to US English it might do this. And if that's the case and it's expecting a British accent it might explain the "kama" thing too (though when it recognises "comma" I don't know why it would write the word instead of the symbol).

6. Jtodd76

Jtodd76 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for your response. That was a great idea and I checked...It is selected on English (US) and it's the only language I have installed. I'll just have to say, "explanation mark" from now on...which I don't mind if it works. I may just have to develop a British accent and switch to English (UK) language! HaHa (I've heard the American women love it)
    As far as "comma" or "Kama", who knows? I'd like to delete the words completely because I'll never use them.

Hadron likes this.
  7. Windowpain513

Windowpain513 Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2016
    Male
    Oh man I've had the same problem, and it seemed to occur after a software update. So strange that it used to work perfectly then, bam.

I've noticed "question mark" has always worked (which explains the "explanation mark fix") and it will actually add a "," and then switch it to "comma" once I say the next word.

I use SwiftKey for what's it worth and I know this thread is a few months old but I sure would appreciate any fixes that have worked for others. I use this primarily when driving and it renders it worthless imo.

8. Beckett727

Beckett727 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    I have noticed the same thing--it sometimes adds in the ",", and then changes it to the word "comma" or "Kama" when I speak the next word. Sometimes a long press can bring up the option for an actual punctuation mark; more often NOT, which is really irritating! And my phone is also set to English U.S. I honestly wish Android would PAY ATTENTION to these forums and produce a fix for this problem. (By the way, Hadron, I totally understand that you'd never heard of "exclamation point". That distance across the Pond produces a surprising difference in speech sometimes. As a member of a Review Team for a British author, my suggestions for each of her books seem to fall into the category of, "add this to the glossary at the end; most Americans will have no idea what the heck that phrase means, even after Downtown Abbey!")

9. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Well the funny thing is that I work with a lot of Americans, and have done for decades. However, "!" isn't something you ever use in scientific papers, so I guess it's not so surprising that it's never come up ;)

10. DCSpencer007

DCSpencer007 Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2017
    Re Punctuation commands not being recognized: Millions seem to be having this problem, but Android is not providing a real solution. In another thread on this forum (which I cannot find now), the cause of these problems is said to be a faulty software update. Dictation was so easy before, now it's a pain. "Exclamation Mark" and "comma" and "period" and "full-stop" no longer work for me! I'm super-frustrated. I use British English, but my phone is set to US English. Any advice would be appreciated. I also checked for any update for my Samsung S7 Edge, but it's says my software is up to date. I've tried all the attempted solutions on the internet. I find lots of people with the problem, but no real solutions...