1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Why is HTC phone stuck in fastboot?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    I put my phone (HTC one mini 2) on charge last night and then when I woke up it was on a ***LOCKED*** FASTBOOT screen. I have never seen the screen before and am not tech savvy in the slightest.
    I have tried selecting the recovery option but the phone just goes straight back to the FASTBOOT screen. The same happens when I select POWER DOWN. I have held down the power and volume buttons but all that happens is the screen goes black, goes onto the charging screen with the lightning bolt inside a battery, and then goes back to the fastboot screen.
    I don't want to do a factory reset as I'm on holiday and am eligible for a new phone as soon as I get back. I just want to recover and save my holiday photos as they are, stupidly, not backed up.
    My phone had very little storage space left when I plugged it in to charge last night, and has been very slow to charge for a lot of months now.

HTC support said the only option was a factory reset. Is it possible that the photos could be recovered from my hard drive/ sd card if I took it into a shop? Is there any way of getting out of the fastboot screen myself without deleting my photos? on holiday so dontdontave a desktop or laptop, just a cheap tablet.
    Any suggestions? Thank you!

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    One reason it might be stuck in Fastboot mode is if your volume down key is stuck. To get into fastboot you reboot the phone while pressing that key, so if the key got stuck then if it rebooted for any reason it would go into fastboot mode. So I'd try jiggling that key to see whether you can unstick it, in the hope that that is the problem.

Don't do a reset. Any data on the SD card are fine, since you just have to take the card out and stick it in a card reader or a new phone, but data stored on the phone will be lost. So it really depends where you have the device set to store photos how easy this will be. But if they are stored on the phone your best bet is to wait until you have access to a computer, though you do need to get it out of fastboot mode to have any chance.

Don't worry about "LOCKED" - that just means that the bootloader is locked, which is the normal state. You only unlock it if you wish to root the device (and that won't help you now, since unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device).