• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is iOS so much smoother than Android?

I shouldn't have to tap the screen a second time to stop it from scrolling all the way to the bottom. The iPhone scrolls depending on how hard you flick it. Android does this to some extent, but from my experience it has a hard time differientating a fast flick or a slow one.

Well, which is it? your previous post was about having a hard time scrolling to the middle thats why i said you have a guide bar when scrolling now you saying its scrolling to the bottom shouldn't take two try, sound to me its all on the individual user of his or her phone.

Upvote 0
I like Android I really do but the juttery herky jerky scrolling is annoying as hell. Yes even on an Nexus 1... I've owned a Nexus 1 and an Incredible and the scrolling was actually annoying enough to make me want to take them back... It's not just the scrolling in the lists but also herky jerkiness when switching home screens... It's almost like you flick, it responds and hiccups towards the end of the scrolling motion when moving home screens. It's been noticeable on every single Android phone I've tried so I don't think it's isolated to a particular bad phone. That being said I love the little tab on the side that let's you tap hold and guide... the iPhone could definitely use that... On the same hand I actually like when the scroll comes to a rolling stop by slowing down until it's completely stopped after a scroll ala iPhone. It's much more realistic physics and feels more natural to me rather than a forced induced scrolling without much thought in it just to say you have scrolling. Anyhow the clunkiness of these things and the small hiccups when moving in and out of apps have kept me from truly committing to an Android phone. I keep trying them and they keep letting me (me personally as in my preferences) down. I've owned 4 Android phones so far: Sprint Hero, European Hero, Nexus 1, and Droid Incredible. I've also test driven the Droid X... On each one of these my annoyances were the same:

1.) Jerky scrolling in lists
2.) Jerky/hiccuping scrolling on home screens
3.) Touch screen responsiveness as a whole (as soon as my thumb hits my screen on my iPhone the screen responds and starts moving).
4.) Little annoying pauses while moving in and out of apps and then sometimes the phone freezes just for a sec to catch up...

Anyhow I tested a Galaxy the other day and it seems to be better at these things and palatable at least... so I'm giving it another go. At this point I'm resolved to having 2 phones. I don't want to get rid of my iPhone 4 as it's really fast, does the things I like really efficiently and the quality and polish of the actual applications and especially games are just second to none right now (this is due in part because their IDE and SDK are top notch due to their experience with providing developers with really good tools because of their desktop OS experience). I'm getting the Galaxy because even with the things I find annoying, the iPhone OS is boring to me now... not the applications, or the games, or the functionality but just the UI is just stale and I need something to play around and tinker with...

Upvote 0
I like Android I really do but the juttery herky jerky scrolling is annoying as hell. Yes even on an Nexus 1... I've owned a Nexus 1 and an Incredible and the scrolling was actually annoying enough to make me want to take them back... It's not just the scrolling in the lists but also herky jerkiness when switching home screens... It's almost like you flick, it responds and hiccups towards the end of the scrolling motion when moving home screens. It's been noticeable on every single Android phone I've tried so I don't think it's isolated to a particular bad phone. That being said I love the little tab on the side that let's you tap hold and guide... the iPhone could definitely use that... On the same hand I actually like when the scroll comes to a rolling stop by slowing down until it's completely stopped after a scroll ala iPhone. It's much more realistic physics and feels more natural to me rather than a forced induced scrolling without much thought in it just to say you have scrolling. Anyhow the clunkiness of these things and the small hiccups when moving in and out of apps have kept me from truly committing to an Android phone. I keep trying them and they keep letting me (me personally as in my preferences) down. I've owned 4 Android phones so far: Sprint Hero, European Hero, Nexus 1, and Droid Incredible. I've also test driven the Droid X... On each one of these my annoyances were the same:

1.) Jerky scrolling in lists
2.) Jerky/hiccuping scrolling on home screens
3.) Touch screen responsiveness as a whole (as soon as my thumb hits my screen on my iPhone the screen responds and starts moving).
4.) Little annoying pauses while moving in and out of apps and then sometimes the phone freezes just for a sec to catch up...

Was that before or after the Froyo update for the N1? 'Cause I dunno what you're doing, but my N1 doesn't do that anymore.

Upvote 0
@MrX

I guess this is a matter of preference. But on a side note, you can simply do a very small flick and the page scrolls only slightly (if you only wanted to go down slightly). If you do it slightly harder, it will go slightly farther, etc., etc.

To go the same distance as an iphone hard flick, you only need a light flick on android. Maybe it takes some getting used to if you (not you personally) are used to iphone type scrolling cause you constantly use hard flicks to navigate up and down on it. Also, if I want to get to the middle of a LONG page, I can simply do a hard flick and once I reach the destination I can stop it. For me it seems pretty simple. Btw, Opera Mini 5 for Android has iphone like scrolling if that is what you like. I hate it though, the only thing opera is good for is speed but once I get the Epic 4G I'm leaving opera for good lol

Upvote 0
@MrX

I guess this is a matter of preference. But on a side note, you can simply do a very small flick and the page scrolls only slightly (if you only wanted to go down slightly). If you do it slightly harder, it will go slightly farther, etc., etc.

Currently from what I've seen and my experience, Android 2.1 is not capable of this. It is capable of two speeds:

Slow
Fast

iPhone can do

Slow
Medium
Fast
..and it adds snap/bounce

iPhone scrolling IMO is better.

Upvote 0
I think the smoothness of iOS has quite a bit to do with extremely tight hardware integration, a very limited feature set, and a very, very strict eye for UI aesthetics.

I think there are 2 major issues that really affect the different; Age & Many Manufactures.

Apple has been developing computers since the 70s. The first Iphone was introduced in January of 2007, in July 2008 came the 3g and June 2009 came the 3gs followed this June with the Iphone4. Apple controls the hardware, software, everything about the devices and in the last 4 years, they really have only released 4 devices that aren't that much different.

Android 1.1 was originally released on February 9, 2009, merely 18 months ago. It is new but developing fast. Unlike Apple that tends to do a single software/hardware release each year, Android had 5 released in 16 months and Gingerbread scheduled for 4Q 2010. In that same time period Apple had only released 1 Iphone.

It is not a closed platform, there are hundreds of devices being released each year from almost as many manufactures, some better than others but none from the same company developing the OS. Some of these devices are similar, but some aren't and they have to deal with those differences.

I personally think that it would make things more stable if the OS releases weren't so close. (1.1 1/9/09 1.5 4/30/09 1.6 9/15/09 2.1 1/10/10 2.2 5/20/10), but they do seem to be slowing down a little bit ;)

It would also make it easier for the Manufactures to develop devices and not have to worry about releasing a device on an OS that is "outdated" so soon.

Upvote 0
YouTube - Apple iPhone 4 VS Samsung Galaxy S : Video Confronto (HD)

Skip to 12:15 to see him scrolling on each phone. This is why I like the Scrolling on the Galaxy S phones much more :)

Such a pain in the wrist (literally) to scroll like that constantly on the iphone (or any phone with that kind of scrolling). Also the iphone 4 checkers out at 12:28! LOL! It cant handle heavy scrolling which sucks, I am a heavy scroller and it its a pain on my iphone. I'll admit that its MUCH better on the iphone 4 than the 2g though in terms of checkering out...

Upvote 0
^Hmmm. Seeing that, I dont think I would like the iPhone scrolling either. Its hard to tell. There are times I wanna scroll to the end of a long list of mp3's or pics and wanna get there as quick as possible.

I think a good mix of both scrolling types would be perfect. A soft flick goes like the iPhone, a hard flick like Android.

And I dont like the iPhone bounce. I hate it...lol

Upvote 0
Here is a link Android google code thread that discusses this and reveals some good bits of info. It all boils down to iOS was designed from the ground up to use GPU acceleration for all things have to do with movement and gestures, ie. scrolling, pinching, zooming, etc... and Android does not have built in GPU acceleration for these things thus uses CPU only to complete these tasks which is fine if you don't have anything else running however most Android phones have a crazy amount of startup items so the CPU on average is already being used a lot before it even has to work on animation based requests.

Issue 6914 - android - Make android use the GPU (if available) for UI and browsing. - Project Hosting on Google Code

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
For me it's Apples to Oranges.

Whilst certain elements of the iPhone are arguably better than Android, I think it's also fair to say that Androids usability is far in excess of anything Apple throws at you. My partner's had her iPod Touch for a couple of years but she refused point-blank to consider an iPhone when it came to buying our first Smartphones (we both went with Droid Incredibles).

So Apple wins some, and looses others in my book. Now we do have Gingerbread heading to us at a vast rate of knots :)

Upvote 0
My wife has an iPod Touch and I have a Droid Incredible and we've compared them side-by-side and have not noticed any lag or latency for the Droid.

So I don't agree that there is any inherent performance difference in the OSes.

The one fact you may not be taking into account is that one HUGE advantage of Android over iOS is that Android can multitask. So if you load it up with lots of apps that are all running in parallel, that can certainly slow down your Droid.

My Incredible is running 2.2, and I don't know if that factors in, but I find all the scrolling and paging silky smooth and perfectly responsive. I scroll a lot through my contacts list before making calls, and I've organized my extended home pages by category (media apps in one, news, weather, and stocks in another, etc) so I flick between pages a lot and it's very smooth and I like the snap and bounce feature when I do a flick. I honestly don't understand what some people in this thread who are having problems are talking about!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones