• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why is it that the razor gets 4g but i dont

scott240

May 31, 2012
So starting yesterday where I work is now in a 4g zone. So I heard about this after I got home and out of the 4g zone. I told a coworker that he should have 4g on his droid 4 but he said he is on 3g well today he texted me and said his mom has the razor and she is on 4g but he is still on 3g. I thought it would go out to everyone at once or is there a software update you need first to get on 4g and we just didng get it yet.

So starting yesterday where I work is now in a 4g zone. So I heard about this after I got home and out of the 4g zone. I told a coworker that he should have 4g on his droid 4 but he said he is on 3g well today he texted me and said his mom has the razor and she is on 4g but he is still on 3g. I thought it would go out to everyone at once or is there a software update you need first to get on 4g and we just didng get it yet.

ok your post confuses me...

I'm assuming you have a spectrum. So my question is, is your spectrum getting 4G? You said in your post that your friend isn't getting 4G on his droid 4, but you didn't mention anything about yourself not getting it, but your title reads "why is it that the razor gets 4g but i dont".

If you're not getting 4G on your spectrum then perhaps you either aren't getting a solid enough connection, or you need to go into settings and put your phone on LTE/CDMA. Maybe it's on CDMA only.

I do know that there is no software update required. The phone is made for 4g and will automatically switch to it when it's available.

Upvote 0
ok your post confuses me...

I'm assuming you have a spectrum. So my question is, is your spectrum getting 4G? You said in your post that your friend isn't getting 4G on his droid 4, but you didn't mention anything about yourself not getting it, but your title reads "why is it that the razor gets 4g but i dont".

If you're not getting 4G on your spectrum then perhaps you either aren't getting a solid enough connection, or you need to go into settings and put your phone on LTE/CDMA. Maybe it's on CDMA only.

I do know that there is no software update required. The phone is made for 4g and will automatically switch to it when it's available.

Sorry sometimes when I am watching tv and type and it doesn't get out right. But in my head it makes sense to me :p . Yeah I have the spectrum but I never did notice a 4g icon but I was busy and didn't get a chance to really mess with my phone yesterday. So I am thinking my phone didn't get 4g and I know my buddies droid 4 isn't on 4g and he was with his mom today who has the razor and she has 4g. I asked what speedtest.net said her speed was and he said 26 download 15 upload, is it really that fast. And yeah I did ask if he was sure that wasn't running on wifi. I was messing with my phone and did come across my network settings and they are all right.

Upvote 0
the razr does get a better signal than a lot of phones so that may be it.

As far as speed goes it really is that fast. I ran two connection test one day in Richmond VA. while I was right next to a verizon tower and got 43 and 45Mb down and 11 and 13Mb up. Of course those are burst speeds and you arent going to maintain a 3 or 4MB download at all times but I can consistently download around 1MB all the time. On smaller files, say around 3-15MB I will hold around 2-4MB all the time. I actually downloaded a file that was 14MB in about 2 seconds before :p

I know a guy in england that told me he saw on the news over there that switzerland has an 80Mb wireless connection for their smartphones =O

Upvote 0
FWIW: I downloaded speed test from the market. Turned off WiFi.

North of the perimeter in ATL GA, I got 22.9Mbps down, 7.6Mbps up on 4G. That would be faster than my COMCAST connection. :fight:
Of course, MANY factors / pre-conditions affect overall bandwidth. I could try the same test tomorrow and be lucky to get a fraction of that.

YMMV
p.s. You have a 4G connection if the notification bar has an icon indicating 4G, which may be missing if you also have WiFi enabled. AFAIK, the phone will default to WiFi if it is on.

Upvote 0

Simple answer: it has a different radio and hardware. Different manufacturers and models will all operate different.

Fwiw, my wife has a razr and I have the spectrum... She has consistently better data connectivity and speeds, but we each have varying range to towers... Sometimes, she'll have no coverage, but I will and vice versa.

Btw, here's my speed test in a poor LTE area...

Test Date: Aug 12, 2012 2:11:23 pm
Connection Type: Lte
Server: Lynnwood, WA
Download: 13.55 Mbps
Upload: 5.02 Mbps
Ping: 47 ms

It's a burst test, so e

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones