1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why is my 4g reception so much worse than my friend's?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Roger Munns, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Roger Munns

Roger Munns Lurker

Scenario: I am sitting only a few feet from my friend and we are both using 'Speedcheck' to look at the 4g network. I have an old-ish Iocean 'Rock' (M6752) and she has a new-ish Samsung S8.

We press Speedcheck together. It shows her speed to be 9Mb/s and mine to be 0,7Mb/s. We both show the same mast and carrier.

So we then both go online to a newspaper website, lots of pics etc. Again, we press at the same instant. The site opens on her phone in 4seconds, in mine it takes 32seconds.

I am Android 4.4, she is Android 7.

Is the reason simply the fact that my phone is old (and was relatively cheap)?

#1 Roger Munns, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Yup. There are a lot of factors involved but yes :)

Welcome to the forums!

Dannydet and Jfalls63 like this.
  3. Roger Munns

Roger Munns Lurker

Thanks. Maybe I can find answers here to some questions that typically come from older users (73). Just one more for the moment:
    In buying a new phone how can I ensure I get one that will access quickly to the 4g network? I can't spend much and it will be an online sale, so it won't be possible to check 'em out first.

4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

What is your budget? Carrier? What features are important to you?

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Newer phones will have newer antennas that are capable of faster speeds. For example, older phones will have category 3 hardware, but newer ones usually have category 5.
    Just buy a more recent device and it will be faster than your previous phone. However keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

Dannydet likes this.
  6. Roger Munns

Roger Munns Lurker

Thank you. But what should I look for to see HOW good a particular phone is at 4g reception? Is there a number or a spec. that will tell me?

7. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

You want to make sure the phone supports all the frequency bands that your carrier uses. For example the US carrier Sprint uses 4G LTE bands:
    25 (1900 MHz)
    26 (800 MHz)
    41 (2500 MHz)

An older phone that only supports band 25 will have worse reception then a newer one that supports all three.

A popular site to check phone specs and bands they use:
    https://www.gsmarena.com

Page for your friends S8:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-8161.php

Find and click on the model number for your country/carrier, then click Expand next to the Network category.

svim and Dannydet like this.