1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why is my battery life so awful?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tranceFusion, Aug 16, 2012.

1. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Android Enthusiast

1hr 14minutes of screen time and it's almost dead.. seriously?? I'm guessing everyone else isn't having this issue?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. colmmcgrath

colmmcgrath Well-Known Member

Do always turn on the wifi connection?

3. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

mine is always wifi on. i haven't plugged in in at least a day.
    2d 4h 44m 17s on battery. 1h 40 m 13s screen on time. I thought I used this thing more than that lol.
    what your screen brightness set to? mine is auto. dark wallpaper. read books in dark background. i dunno. wifi always on. i'm running custom rom and trinity kernel.

4. blahblahyoutoo

blahblahyoutoo Well-Known Member

personally, i kill the wifi at night because i don't want to be woken up by alerts in the middle of the night.
    i get about 4 days between chargers, 4 hours of screen time.

5. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert

4 hours of screen on is about what I would expect over several days. If you use it all at once I would expect a bit more. I would think 4 days and 4 hours of screen on would be a fairly typical result for most. I know it is for me.

6. johncf

johncf Well-Known Member

whats the rest of your usage table like, must be something wrong,

mine been on 2 days with out a charge, wifi on bluetooth on ( using nesoid and wiimote )
    watch a few films, played onlive,

total screen time is 6 hours, battery is at 23% at the moment, will likely charge tonight.

7. paulsalter

paulsalter Newbie

thought mine was running down quickly today, but reading this perhaps not

2h45 since it was fully charged
    2h05 for screen on (nothing much, reading a book, tapatalk, facebook and checking email)
    and my battery has gone down to 75%

tablet idle and wifi in the first post look high, dont think i have seen mine over about 2 or 3%

8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY

I am at 55%, 1d 12h 59m 19s with 2h 1m 9s screen on time. So yeah, 3-4 days, with 4 hours screen on sounds just right for me too.

9. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Android Enthusiast

I turn my off at night and get about 3 days use per charge, well impressed

seVer likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Right now, mine is 2d, 5h, 29m since the last charge. 3h 28m screen-on time.

I'm at 45%.

I never turn off the tablet, nor do I ever turn off wifi.

To the OP, you definitely have something wrong. When you go into the Battery area of the settings menu, what does it say is using all of the battery? The top, say, 2-3 items?

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Android Enthusiast

The best way I've found to make my battery drain fast is to use an OTG mounted sdcard and play a high resolution 1080p movie from it. Not only does it have to do lots of work to rescale the frames, but they are really big frames and it has to do lots of work to suck them off the sdcard as well.

12. sycor

sycor Well-Known Member

I'm at 1 hr and 20 m for screen time and I'm at 72% battery. Last plugged in 3 days ago. (I don't use it very often since I work two jobs currently.) I turn my wifi and sync off at night or whenever I'm out.

13. DanielM426

DanielM426 Android Enthusiast

You definitely have an issue. My tablet is at 62% right now with the display having been on for more than 2 hrs with lowest back light with dead trigger and browsing. Wifi on at all times.

14. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Android Enthusiast

Is it hot on the back?
    Restart it then airplane mode! Then see how it runs.

15. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

Based on the pics, you have been off charge for a couple hours short of two days and used the thing an hour and fourteen minutes during that time. What exactly is bad about that life? If you are not using it but it is still on, it still uses power. If you want to leave it off the charge for two days and only use it a little, turn it off while you don't use it. The boot time is quick on it anyway.

colchiro and seVer like this.
  16. seVer

seVer Android Expert

agreed with UKCatFan again.

17. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Android Enthusiast

So what exactly do tablet idle and WiFi mean (In terms of battery use)? Is there some way to put it into a deeper standby where system processes aren't running, without shutting it all the way off? The iPad will standby for a month before the battery croaks. I did find the setting to disable WiFi in sleep mode.

Oddly today it shows Songza as using 14% of my battery, despite my not having even launched that app since the last boot. I assume it must have been running some startup process that probably kept testing the disabled WiFi connection when I had the screen off. Is there some way to manage all this stuff or do I just hope each app behaves itself?

18. seVer

seVer Android Expert

Yes and yes

19. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Android Enthusiast

Whow didn't see the 1 DAY 20 HOURS thought it was 1 hour 20 minutes yeah your battery is fine. Go into settings apps and at the top tap on running and you willl see all the tasks that are running and if there is something there you want shut off you can stop them right there. Usually I just tap the power button once to put it to sleep or let it time out in 2 minutes, it wakes up by 1 quick press of the power button. Most of my power goes to the screen because it should be the thing that uses the most power.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Uh, I'd argue that's terrible usage. An hour and 14 minutes of usable time?

Mine is now at 2d 23h 22m, with screen on time of just over 4h, and I've got 24% left.

Also, that discharge line is almost a perfectly straight line. Something in the background is using a lot of battery life. You could try downloading Better Battery Stats to see if that provides you more insight.

21. BubbaHotepUK

BubbaHotepUK Member

Yep, something is eating battery life.

Download and install AirPush Detector (free) from the Android Market (I mean, Play Store).

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=airpush+detector

It helped fix an issue on my SGS2 whereby a game I'd installed was running a secondary background process that didn't show up on the applications list, but chewed through battery in a few hours.

22. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert

Didn't notice this before, but your tablet idle is sky high! That should not be over 10% and in most cases I would say not over 5-6%. Wifi is high as well but not as bad. That too should be around 7-8% if that much. You possibly have a wakelock issue.

Are you stock or running an aftermarket ROM/kernel combo?

23. sycor

sycor Well-Known Member

That battery life is horrible. I'm at 4d 8h off the charger with 1h 23m screen time and I'm at 66%. My break down is this:

Screen 46%
    Tablet Idle 37%
    Android System 11%
    Chrome 3%
    Ichi 2%
    Android OS 2%

Tablet Idle is high if you leave it idle for a long time. Like mine above, the longer it's off the charger and you don't use it, the higher Idle Time becomes. Nothing wrong with it. It drops quickly the more you use the tablet.