• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is my phone talking to me?

• Thread starter Android Question
  • Start date
A

Android Question

I assume that I have changed some setting somewhere on my Samsung Galaxy S3, but my phone is now telling me every time an email arrives ("One new email") and it is getting annoying. I have tried to find a setting to turn it off, but have not found anything and I cannot figure out what I have changed because it did not do this a couple of days ago.

I have looked through the Settings display but can find nothing that mentions voice notifications. I have looked for a Notifications control but have found nothing. I have looked at the Voice controls but do not see anything that mentions voice notification.

Perhaps there was an update that was automatically installed that turned on this annoying feature. Perhaps there is some setting that I have changed. Perhaps something automatically changed the setting, but the notification is so annoying that I want to turn the volume all the way down. There must be some way to turn it off.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Hi, welcome to Android Forums :)

Go to Settings -Accessibility -scroll down to TalkBack and turn it off.

For more answers to your queries, do not hesitate to register and checkout our GS3 Forum with plenty of expertise to help:
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Forums

Thanks for the suggestion but when I scrolled down to TalkBack I found it was already off.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have "Driving Mode" turned on. On Home screen, pull down the notification screen. Over on the right of the top bar you will find "Driving Mode". Tap it to turn off hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion but Driving Mode was already turned off. Since TalkBack is off and Driving Mode is off I have no idea what is going on here.

Still, thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
is it only email that you are getting voice notifications from, or other apps too?

Only from the mailer as far as I know. I don't think I have heard anything else.

I have taken a couple of steps. I have turned both TalkBack and Driving Mode on and then off and turned I have rebooted the phone and will listen to see if the problem has disappeared. It has been very strange and a bit annoying.

Upvote 0
Do you have an app called "Voice Talk" on the phone? I think it's a very old app that had an agreement with Samsung ( I had to disable it on my GNote).

No. I have Voice Recorder, Voice Search and S-Voice. I looked at the setting for each of those to see if they might have been the cause, but it does not appear so.

I also looked carefully through the mailer app to see if it was doing anything, but could find nothing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones