• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why is my samsung galaxy s3 getting laggy and slow?

Iv had the s3 for almost a week and its been fast but lately videos have been laggy, typing is super slow, and just using it in general doesnt feel smooth at all. I use advanced taskkiller and even close the multitasking apps. Whats wrong

For starters, get rid of your task killers. They do more harm than good for your device and are totally unnecessary and possibly may cause some of the lag you're experiencing.

Upvote 0
Get rid of that Task Killer. It's actually causing more harm like the poster above said. Download a app called Fast Reboot and run it either once a day or twice a day. It will clear your memory and immediately upon doing so, your phone is back to it's snappy self. I only clear out my memory once a night. It's pretty much resetting your phone without resetting it.

Here are some other tips that sped my phone up:

1. Go into Developer Options and change animations to 0.5

2. Turn off all touch gestures unless you use them

3. Disable all of the bloatware applications that you don't use

4. Lastly, don't fill up every page with widget after widget

Also make sure you do not have "Power Saver" enabled.

Reactions: scoby151
Upvote 0
My iphone went through the wash last week. iPhone 5 was out of stock so I thought I would try galaxy s3. The first few days it was okay. Not very user friendly, auto correct is terrible and battery is not very good, but I thought I might get used to it. I like the customizations and the big screen but I'm so frustrated with it now that I wanna throw it out. It's slow, glitch, always freezes, and overall just a pain to use. I'll be getting another iPhone once they are available

Upvote 0
My iphone went through the wash last week. iPhone 5 was out of stock so I thought I would try galaxy s3. The first few days it was okay. Not very user friendly, auto correct is terrible and battery is not very good, but I thought I might get used to it. I like the customizations and the big screen but I'm so frustrated with it now that I wanna throw it out. It's slow, glitch, always freezes, and overall just a pain to use. I'll be getting another iPhone once they are available

I've had my Galaxy S3 for a month now. I haven't once had my phone glitch, freeze at all. It's never slow even on power saver mode.

I moved from a cheapo LG texting phone, while also having my old iPod Touch 2g, and the Galaxy S3 is a HUGE upgrade. My iPod lagged so much because Apple butchered iOS 4 for 2nd gens, and i couldnt have many tabs open in safari.

Upvote 0
I just bought my new Galaxy S3 for 2 months, then my messaging cannot open and even no notification from friend who send me a message.. I went for that center and asked them my messaging problem, they don't know and keep asking me to format it ! Okay, fine! After I format my phone, my phone became more slow n laggy..I don't even can play any games smoothly... can anyone tell me why?

Upvote 0
I've had my Galaxy S3 for a month now. I haven't once had my phone glitch, freeze at all. It's never slow even on power saver mode.

I moved from a cheapo LG texting phone, while also having my old iPod Touch 2g, and the Galaxy S3 is a HUGE upgrade. My iPod lagged so much because Apple butchered iOS 4 for 2nd gens, and i couldnt have many tabs open in safari.

well dude in apples defense you are comparing one of the best phones out there to a ipod 2g. thats like comparing a ultrabook with a 8-core processor to a dinky little laptop. Don't get me wrong i love android 10x more then ios.

Upvote 0
I activated my phone today and it is not the zippy response I thought it would be. What were any other quick fixes you could recommend?

when i first got my gs3 it wasnt to laggy but when i hit the home button it would take a while to get to the home screen but thats because there was this wacky update i installed, but right after i rooted my phone and put a rom on it, it was perfectly fine.

Upvote 0
I just switched to the S3 from iPhone because ATT offered me two for free. I've had mine for 2 weeks and so far it has been horrible. Slow, freezes, takes forever to send texts because the typing response is so slow, and SVoice has to be some kind of joke. When I press mhy camera icon nothing happens for 5 seconds, then the home screen turns 45 degrees, freezes, then 6 seconds later the camera opens. I've showed my friends who insisted that the Galaxy is so much better than the iPhone and the only response I get is "hmmm, that's not right." Do I really have to root this phone to get it to perform half as good as my previous phone did?

Upvote 0
I bought an S3 in Aug and I never had any problems with it. A couple weeks ago I sold it to get the Note 2. I decided I really didn't like the size of the Note 2 so I returned it and got another S3. I've had this phone for 3 days and it has been horrible. Slow and laggy, my keyboard is buggy and sometimes types stuff I didn't even write, and my battery has been horrendous. Really wishing I kept my Note 2 now. That thing was flawless minus being a little too big for me which I'm sure I could have just dealt with. I just figured I'd get another S3 which I loved, but now really regretting that decision. I've tried to FDR it and it didn't help. I'm probably gonna go see if the store will replace it for me.

Upvote 0
Yeah I used to LOVE my S3 now I want to throw this thing at a wall!!! I text a lot so for my keyboard to be screwy its really pissing me off. I tried installing some different keyboards too just to see and it was worse so it has to be the phone. Hopefully they give me a new one and not a CLN.

That's exactly what I was thinking yesterday. I wanted to smash it into many little pieces. I rooted last night and with a new ROM it is performing far better. But frustrating that I even had to do that.

Upvote 0
Iv had the s3 for almost a week and its been fast but lately videos have been laggy, typing is super slow, and just using it in general doesnt feel smooth at all. I use advanced taskkiller and even close the multitasking apps. Whats wrong

You must have turned power saving mode.
turn it off in settings.
I had the same issue when i updated the phone.

Upvote 0
I just bought my new Galaxy S3 for 2 months, then my messaging cannot open and even no notification from friend who send me a message.. I went for that center and asked them my messaging problem, they don't know and keep asking me to format it ! Okay, fine! After I format my phone, my phone became more slow n laggy..I don't even can play any games smoothly... can anyone tell me why?

Turn off power saving mode in settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones