• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why is the Eris the hardest to root?

Like everyone else, I would like to root my leaked 2.1 phone but I know I have to wait. Unit then, I have a few questions

HTC makes a ton of Android phones, why does it seems like the Eris is the hardest to crack? It seems like every other phone gets rooted before they even make it out the door. I know that if I didn't install the leak, I would be able to root my phone but there are so many other phones running 2.1 that are rooted, I would think there couldn't be that much of a difference. Can someone explain this to me?

Since Android is supposed to be an open operating system, why doesn't it come rooted or is that something enforced by HTC?

Can we do some social engineering and track down that Chinese guy that leaked the first root(who claims he works for HTC) and get him to set root permissions on a 2.1 rom and then release it? Or have him sign a package that one of our great devs have already made?

The eris is a fairly new phone, with a locked bootloader, and oem unlock disabled. While android itself is opensource, manufacture are free to add proprietary bits and pieces, like the touch screen drivers and senseui.

The eris was specially made for Verizon, to their specs. A root phone could allow you to do things, that are against Verizon policy and if a malicious person made ROMs, and you ran them, it could do bad things.

HTC does not want people to root phones, mainly for warranty issues. If phones came rooted, people would mess around, break them and try to return them. The average person does not need root.

Developers are sometimes against root, because it could make piracy easier. Any of you from our IRC network know my rules/stance on piracy. Pay these developers the $1-5 they deserve, if you don't like the app get a refund.

Social engineering probably won't work. Anyone dumb enough to fall for that, doesn't have access to what we want. Most likely only a few people have access to the keys to sign roms.

The reason we can't flash the root rom, over the non root ones (Besides 1.5) is that it has an earlier version number, and the bootloader checks for it. We can't change that number in the rom, because it would alter the signature and fail the signature check.

Hope that explains it good.

jcase

Reactions: darrenmthornton
Upvote 0
Sounds good but does the Eris have a different bootloader then all the other HTC phones? I'm just surprised at how fast all the other phones are rooted given how hard it seems to be to root the Eris.

I am not sure about all the other phones. The n1 has an oem unlocked bootloader, probably due to google's request. From what I know, the Desire and Legend have a boot loader similar in features to our's.

Upvote 0
Wow i didn't realize the n1 was so easily unlockable, seems like a nice phone i just couldn't wait for it to hit the verizon network. Oh well maybe nexus 2 will be out in 2 years when my new every 2 comes around. Not worried the droid eris was easy to root, if i hadn't looked up how much easier the n1 was to root i wouldn't have even known there were phones with an easier route to rooting.

Upvote 0
When people ask questions like this, it makes me wonder why I and other devs bother spending so many hours on this cr*p.

As I have told you before jcase, my army can hunt down the stupid, dumb $h&*s that think you or other devs are just stupid and not tried everything and still work on this stuff for free. I offer my services for free to you and all devs out there. Let me know when you want them released.

Upvote 0
@jcase & droidkevlar

It can be tough to block out the ignorant.
But it comes with the territory/job.
Ignore em and stick with the positive members and they always weed themselves out!

Cheers!

Let me state this. I am not a dev. But I can see why Dev's get pissed/annoyed/fed up with peoples BS like stated above. I am in the IT field and I have to deal with people like this and trust me, they dont get very good service from me when they act like this.

I just dont want this to happen to a Dev and we lose a good man/women helping others for FREE.

Again Dev's, thank you guys for all your hard work. Cuz of you guys, I love my phone more than my wife. Some say thats bad, but I say its good. :eek:

Upvote 0
to all above,

i'm sorry to see you guys interpret my post the way that was not intended to be.

perhaps my lack of post makes me look like one of those stupid dumb b$ out there but i have been viewing the forums everyday since i got the phone in november. i have voiced my support before the 1.5 root and i congratulated the devs after it got rooted.

i rooted the phone when it first came out and stupid enough to install the second leak a few weeks ago. i was so pissed at myself after i realized what i have done and i hoped that the leaked version would be rooted soon.

now the first quarter has passed on, still no ota from verizon. the incredible with 2.1 is launching on the 29th and i sense devs might be jumping ship to the new phone. also the april fools video from sed's post just made me very frustrated.

i'm not in the IT business nor an expert but the bootloader's reaction just makes me think that rooting the leaked 2.1 is impossible. but devs, please continue to work hard to prove me wrong.

thank you.

Upvote 0
to all above,

i'm sorry to see you guys interpret my post the way that was not intended to be.

perhaps my lack of post makes me look like one of those stupid dumb b$ out there but i have been viewing the forums everyday since i got the phone in november. i have voiced my support before the 1.5 root and i congratulated the devs after it got rooted.

i rooted the phone when it first came out and stupid enough to install the second leak a few weeks ago. i was so pissed at myself after i realized what i have done and i hoped that the leaked version would be rooted soon.

now the first quarter has passed on, still no ota from verizon. the incredible with 2.1 is launching on the 29th and i sense devs might be jumping ship to the new phone. also the april fools video from sed's post just made me very frustrated.

i'm not in the IT business nor an expert but the bootloader's reaction just makes me think that rooting the leaked 2.1 is impossible. but devs, please continue to work hard to prove me wrong.

thank you.

You had the right idea, it may have just been worded incorrectly. On the internet and in text (which conveys no emotion, most of the time) it can come off as harsh when it isn't.

I would just say stay out of this section until someone comes running into the main section mentioning root is out for 2.1. Coming in here will inadvertently cause you to say something to cheese someone off.

Just enjoy 2.1, and when the rest of the devs are on board with the OTA, we should be a step closer. Hopefully not another four months of waiting, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones