1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Why is there no support for the LG K10

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bart2201, Aug 9, 2016.

1. bart2201

bart2201 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    I've tried a few times to find out why no one is giving any support for this device, it's a much better phone than LG L70 which had tremendous support on these forums, from finding how to open the bootloader to finally rooting the phone and adding ROMS.
    So why when LG releases a new and better phone is there no support for it on these forums? I bought this phone thinking that support would be forthcoming, but so far nothing has been done for it.

I just would like an answer from one of the forum leaders or devs to explain why there isn't any interest in this particular device. I cannot afford to buy another phone right now but would greatly like to root this one to rid myself of the b.s. Metro crap and be able to use my Titanium Pro, and other paid for apps that require rooting.

So please someone take a few minutes to finally respond and explain what is (not) going on with this phone.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It's not just here, the forums at Xda are pretty much a ghost town too.

Pretty much everyone who posts here (including most staff members) are volunteers so you can't really force them to work or support a device they aren't being paid to support or develop for.

The K10 also ships with a Mediatek processor and whilst they've come on leaps and bounds performance wise , Mediatek are woefully bad at complying with the GPL and supplying source code and I believe it is pretty hard to develop for MTK devices because of this. This also might turn a lot of developers off (although this is just speculation on my part).

Was it a popular device? Did it sell particularly well?

IsaacGuti, svim and mikedt like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Yeh, I'm sure the problem is the Chinese Mediatek MTK processor. They often are for devs, for the reasons already stated by El Presidente. If it had been Qualcomm Snapdragon, as in the L70, it might have been a different story for developing for this phone, things like rooting and custom ROMs.

#3 mikedt, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    svim and El Presidente like this.
  4. bart2201

None

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    I'm assuming that the mediatek processor must be the reason for the lack of support. I wish I had known beforehand that this would be an unsupported device. right now I'm stuck with it, even though I hate all the bloatware from Metro and other crap there is nothing I can do.
    I'll have to wait until I can afford another new phone, with Metro you have to wait at least 90 days before you can get deals on new phones or you will have to pay full price.
    I should have gone with LG stylo II or the J7 Samsung.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    It very much is the reason. Pretty much anything that's Mediatek MTK can be extremely difficult and often impossible for independent devs to support, with things like custom recoverys and ROMs.

As I understand Mediatek only releases their source code and drivers subject to signing draconian NDAs. Which basically means they're really only available to device manufacturers, like LG, and NOT independent hobbyist ROM devs.

[​IMG]

#5 mikedt, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  6. bart2201

None

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Thank You, in the future I will make sure never to buy anything that is driven by a mediatek processor. Live and learn the hard way I guess.

mikedt likes this.