• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why isnt the gingerbread keyboard included with our gingerbread?

exclamation_mark

Android Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2010
So I'm toying around with my new Evo 3D, I'm not a fan of the stock keyboard, or of swype. I was surprised to not ind the Gingerbread keyboard included and am curious if there is an .apk somewhere that will work? I did find an app on the market that claims to be a gingerbread keyboard, though I'm not sure how legit it is.

which keyboard did the 4g have? i liked that one. with the arrows.

I believe it was the stock Sense keyboard, similar to the one that's with the 3D. I had been using CyanogenMod 7 on my 4G. I grew to like the Gingerbread keyboard more than any other. I had used Swype before that, but their updates made the prediction so terrible that I finally gave up.

Upvote 0
I believe it is because the E3D has HTC Sense. Not sure though.

But it should be fairly easy to install. If you don't have the cash, I would recommend you Google "Gingerbread Keyboard XDA" and just look around.

If you don't have the cash, don't encourage piracy. :mad:

The free GB keyboard in the Market works fine, and is totally legit.

I gave up on the stock keyboard here because of the lack of arrows. Now using SwiftKey and loving it. FWIW, it's really shaping up to be the fastest keyboard for me - word prediction is trumping swiping in my case. SwiftKey constantly gives three guesses at the next word you'll use in your sentence (and it learns your writing style - that actually works, I'm still surprised at how well) - and a right-left swipe does word erase and boy, is that handy. You have to go thru two key taps to get to the arrows, but for the infrequency of their use, I'm ok with that and not having them take up real estate when not in use. Also - speech recognition: SwiftKey will give you three choices of what you might have said instead of putting out the gobbledy-gook like many others.

If that's not interesting and you like swiping but not Swype, I'd really, really recommend checking out Flex T9 keyboard - I like that one a lot as well, but, no arrows there. Voice recognition on Flex is using the Dragonspeak engine - and it's just scary good - really scary good. Flex T9 also has a mode where you can draw the characters out, as if using Gesture Search.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
If you don't have the cash, don't encourage piracy. :mad:

Sorry about that, but I wasn't encouraging piracy, I was talking about the ones that are on XDA. That's why I put "Gingerbread Keyboard XDA". Sorry about the confusion.

The free GB keyboard in the Market works fine, and is totally legit.

Didn't see the free version. :eek:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well, you know how the mods roll - put the words "paid + go to [insert site here]" into a post and that will generate the anti-piracy public service announcement - every mod, every time. ;)

We're ok with downloads of anything from the AOSP code repository (as in, standard Android components) because they are open source.

The copyright sharks are on a DMCA feeding frenzy and our job is to uphold not only good practices but also even the appearance of good practices. Protecting the good of the site is job one.

It just is what it is.

Had this been a real emergency, you'd have received instructions on where to go, what to do and where to impound your dog! ;) :)

Reactions: CrazyTechnoBoy
Upvote 0
Before I upgraded to my new 3VO I had an EVO 4G rooted and running CM7. I really loved the keyboard which was included with CM7, which as far as I know was just the standard 2.3 keyboard.

I was a little bit disappointed with the keyboard on the 3VO. For me it just didn't have the usability of the standard 2.3 keyboard.

I downloaded the Gingerbread Keyboard from the Android Market yesterday and gave it a whirl and I couldn't be happier, it is just like the 2.3 CM7 keyboard.

Its a little tricky to set up so if you try it pay attention to the installation instructions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones