• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why linpack scores so low?

yatimameiji

Android Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2009
Texas
flavors.me
I know benchmarking isnt perfect and Quandrant scores aren't everything, but I'm interested about Linpack. I just saw the G2 post a 40ish linpack score. Using the Jac's oc/uv voodoo kernel, I can only get about 9.7ish in linpack. So whats the difference? What is it that their hardware is doing that we dont see? Is it a 2.1 vs 2.2? Then I heard somewhere that linpack doesn't like non-qualcomm cpus.

I know benchmarking isnt perfect and Quandrant scores aren't everything, but I'm interested about Linpack. I just saw the G2 post a 40ish linpack score. Using the Jac's oc/uv voodoo kernel, I can only get about 9.7ish in linpack. So whats the difference? What is it that their hardware is doing that we dont see? Is it a 2.1 vs 2.2? Then I heard somewhere that linpack doesn't like non-qualcomm cpus.

You just possibly opened the door for a bunch of people to call you stupid.
"Dude in the real world my Vibrant is just fine, go get a Scorpion if you want fast benchmark scores."

Ya thats the flood of attacks I got in a similar thread asking why Froyo was doing so bad on Hummingbird.

The 1st and second generation Scorpian cpu are taking FULL advantage of the JIT compiler in 2.2. EVERY benchmark, not just Quadrant, is showing HUGE performance gains for Scorpion chips.

However, people still blame the benchmark. Ya like every damn developer out there has this consipracy towards Hummingbird right? They tweaked their Benchmark app to favor Scorpion right? Even though the favor was tipped in Hummingbirds position when comparing 2.1 phones.

Anyways, the Linpack score is so high again because of the JIT compiler working so great on Scorpion chips. you can search the net and find Linpack being run on the Galaxy S Tablet with official Froyo, the scores are sad. I guess the developers of Linpack also have a conspiracy towards Hummingbird.

Anyways, that should be your answer, it is the JIT compiler. I Just hope people don't attack you for believing in benchmarks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones