1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Why no 3-pin dock for the GNEX?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by veccster, Jan 3, 2012.

1. veccster

veccster Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Headhunter
    Western PA
    It's hard to believe this phone would come with a 3-pin connector on the side of it and yet no dock would be manufactured to utilize it?

Go ahead and tell me "it's coming...the phone is still brand new". Android phones are being replaced with superior models every 6 months (or less) and many people replace them in just 2 years. So missing 3-4 months while they "catch up" is bad business and frustrating for the consumer.

This dock would be outstanding for the car or desk and seems like such a simple accessory to make.

Thought #2 for the day....when is Google going to start building cell towers to eliminate their dependency on Big Red?

Advertisement

2. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    CRNA
    Tennessee
    There have been statements on here that the three pin connector doesn't work on the LTE version (and also statements to the contrary). Don't really know what to believe. You are right though, there's no time like the present if they want to sell alot of them!

Thought #2.....+1, I'd be a Google cell-boy

3. mntbighker

mntbighker Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2010
    SysAdmin
    Silicon Valley
    A major part of what I like about the GNex is the 3 pin connector. I hated the USB plug in the DroidX (X2). I'm also pissed no Dock uses it and I doubt it is disabled on LTE. I might believe the load requirements are such that enough power through the 3 pin is not possible with ALL features active. But I would happily work around that to avoid plugging the damn cable in every time I "dock" it.

4. ducmon696

ducmon696 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Code Monkey
    Heck, even if it turned out that a dock for the VZN GNEX that used the pins couldn't be made, some 3rd-party would come out with something that could use the usb & audio connections with some sort of "slide-in" dock - so you wouldn't have to always re-connect. That, in combination with some NFC tag magic (to automatically go into car mode) could make a decently half-baked alternative...

5. veccster

veccster Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Headhunter
    Western PA
    Using the NFC to automatically enter a certain mode....similar to Motorola's docks....is a great idea! It seem so simple too. Why are they not jumping on the opportunity?
    Maybe there is feelings that this phone won't take off - not enough market share to justify the research and production? They really screwed it up by creating 2 variations of the phone (CDMA & GSM). You lost half the market share because of that.

Tags: