• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why no built in FM transmitter?

While I agree that it would be a cool feature to have in a device, I guess if it's a game of give and take then this would be the thing I would probably leave out as well. I have no doubt that if they wanted to they could shrink the hardware enough to make a damn near unnoticable difference in the size of the phone. However with ever increasing features vying for our most precious resource... battery juice, I'm thinking that, currently anyway, this could be the straw to break the camels back.

I agree with PSkeptic 100% that it is almost a no-brainer that they add this tech to the car dock. For one, the car dock has a coil cord that plugs into the lighter outlet that could easily double as the antenna. And while those at Motorola may not think that a large percentage of DX owners might actually use an FM transmitter, I would say that percentage would skyrocket when it comes to car dock owners.

In my opinion those who spend money on a car dock are much more likely to use this feature than those who do not.

Upvote 0
Shame on me, it seems. I wonder if profanity is allowed. You might consider editing that post.

Lol, oh trust me if profanity wasn't allowed in this forum I would have been kicked out LOOOONG ago. I don't quite cuss like a drunken sailor or anything, but I can be PG-13 at times.

And you really need to see 'Get Him to the Greek' even if profanity isn't your thing. That's one funny movie!!!

Upvote 0
I use a stand alone transmitter. I know it's not exactly what you're talking about. It's an inelegant and inconvenient method. I wound prefer a more sensible solution. It's disappointing that a bizarre, double standard law prevents that.

It's not really bizarre. It prevents people from building unlicensed kilowatt transmitters too easily.

You can blame much of it on radio pirates, particularly the CB radio types (Not ham ops, or HF pirates). They like to make very dirty transmitters, and run them full tilt.

You don't need an external antenna. There are dozens of transmitters what don't have them. I've had half a dozen.

Chances are, you would not be allowed an external antenna. It would be WAY to effective for a Part 15 device.

Upvote 0
You are not alone. I would love the FM transmitter. As I said earlier I really dislike having external items that can be lost/misplaced/be in another car/etc.
To me this is like saying using an ethernet cable is better than having a wireless router for internet use on a laptop.

just to be contrary. A wired connection is better from the vantage of throughput.

It's pretty easy why you wont find a phone that has an FM transmitter inside of it:

The FCC has ruled in the past couple of years that any device that transmit on a licensed band (Cell freqs) can not transmit on an unlicensed (Or, actually, "licensed by rule" is the FCC term) band.

It has nothing to do with required antenna size, since your Part 15 FM-band device must have a terrible antenna in order to comply with specs( 25 uV/m at 3m distance, might be incorrect on the 25, but it's a tiny amount).

Add to that, if by some chance you WERE able to squeak it by the FCC, your phone now must meet ANOTHER round of testing, to ensure it will not cause "Harmful Interference".

Now, that being said, I can not for the life of me fathom why it would be so difficult to use a COTS Part 15 FM device attached to your phone, or a car dock solution connected to the FM stereo with one of these:
Scosche Universal FM Modulator FMMOD02 - Car FM modulator

You can't beat that, it's damned near direct cable to your stereo, and only an audiophile would notice. But, they'd noticed your compressed audio before that.

Thank you, I wondered if there was an FCC regulation about it. still takes quite a bit of power.

FWIW, I think that has been one of the better threads on this site in terms of information

it happens from time to time.

Upvote 0
Jumping in a bit late...

My Nokia N900 phone has a built-in FM transmitter, and I'm very satisfied! It's indeed very helpful as use it regularly in my car (no aux, no bluetooth). Buying a separate transmitter would be combersome and ugly at some point when you plug it to a phone. So I totally agree with Matt!

Upvote 0
This is an old thread and I am jumping in late too but I wanted to know I have the EVO 4G LTE. My phone sits in a dock on my windshield. I want to listen to my music from Google Play through my speakers. I have an old Kenwood with Sirius. I was told that I could do the male to male adapter or an FM Transmitter. My stereo has an aux in the back. So everytime I wanted to listen through stereo speakers I would plug this cord into my 3.5 jack on my phone. I was told this will give me better sound than an FM transmitter. And I know this thread is about FM transmitters

But if I was to go the FM Transmitter route and I think I tried one a few years back with an old MP3 player and it wasn't so great is there one brand that's better than another? Should I go with a bluetooth one like this

Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

Or here's just a normal one that plugs into your phone

Amazon.com: Super Compact 3.5mm Mini Music FM Radio Transmitter For HTC EVO 4G: Electronics

I'm undecided on what to do. The place that put in my stereo said for 35 40 bucks they can do the male to male thing and install it to the AUX in the back. But I don't know if I want that cord in the way so I did a search on FM transmitters and it took me to this thread and I am trying to see what the best option is for me and what others recommend. I know this is an old thread and I'm gonna google some stuff also. Thanks,

Jumping in a bit late...

My Nokia N900 phone has a built-in FM transmitter, and I'm very satisfied! It's indeed very helpful as use it regularly in my car (no aux, no bluetooth). Buying a separate transmitter would be combersome and ugly at some point when you plug it to a phone. So I totally agree with Matt!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones