• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why no data enabled N7?

I just use it on the wifi at home, but if I'm out and about usually places have free wifi and if not I use Foxfi and surf off my 4G.

This!

For the price they couldn't jam it in this unit... And given most (Probably 90% or more) wouldn't use it anyways on this first go around. I bet next year if not sooner you will see it pop up. You can always get one of those little hot spot devices and get a case that can hold both... More bulk but not too bad of a solution.

Upvote 0
It also uses more power and it needs it for the quad core CPU and the dozen video processors plus a big tablet has an even bigger battery with more power to spare for cell service.

Actually this bad boy is a five core with the fifth being a super low power idle core for the times when you aren't doing anything processor intensive.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.

Tethering is not a practical option, IMO, due to phone battery life considerations. The hunt continues for a 3/4G 7" tablet on the cheap(ish)! :D

It will be years before you find one. Cellular radios and the supporting hardware are expensive. You'd be looking at a minimum of $100 price increase if not more to pack one in a tablet. You can either get an expensive tablet with a cellular radio or a cheap one without it. It's just not possible to do a sub $300 tablet with cellular radios right now. Just go get a wifi hotspot if you're concerned about phone battery life. Most are free with a contract.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.

Tethering is not a practical option, IMO, due to phone battery life considerations. The hunt continues for a 3/4G 7" tablet on the cheap(ish)! :D

BlackBerry just released a 4g version of the PlayBook @ $550.00.
For that price the N7 with WiFi is just fine since I can tether to my GNote mobile hotspot when free hotspot is not available.

Upvote 0
As an aside, Google has had a rough time of dealing with cell phone carriers -- it's well known its plans to offer the Nexus phones with carrier intervention was a failure.

Making the Nexus 7 wifi only allows Google to sell the device on its own terms.

More so than the price, I think this was a huge factor. Whenever there are carriers involved, Google can't seem to do what it wants with the device however it envisions the device to be. Especially with CDMA carriers. This allows Google to offer the complete Google experience without compromising anything (other than cell data accessibility). The next OS update will likely be released immediately to the N7 and this is in big part because Google doesn't need to ask anyone else for permission or what not. They can just push the update out and be done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones