1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Why no IMAP IDLE on HTC mail?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by narf, May 20, 2010.

1. narf

narf Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    I have a few questions:

1. Why did HTC not include IMAP IDLE (push) as an option in their mail client?

2. Does K-9 Mail drain your battery faster if set to IMAP IDLE (push) ? I have heard varying opinions on this.

3. I considered just forwarding all email to gmail since it does use IMAP IDLE but I was wondering if I reply to an email that is forwarded to gmail will it send it from my gmail address or can I have it sent from the original forwarded address?

Cheers

Advertisement

2. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    The current version of K-9 (from the marketplace) has a bug that causes it to suck the battery dry. I've been told that the latest version (not maketplace) fixes this issue but I can't get it to work right. I have a bug open with K-9 development and I'll post an update here if/when I get it working right.

3. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    NoVA
    I'm getting the same battery life with K-9 that I got before I installed it. I'm using it for my .Mac IMAP account and I swear it gets the emails FASTER than the iPad sitting right next to me. I LOVE K-9. Folder Poll Check Frequency set to 1 hour BTW.

4. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    @mrjinglesusa, What version of K-9 are you running? I think the issue with it killing the battery depends on your mail providers IDLE settings.

5. mrjinglesusa

May 3, 2010
    NoVA
    K-9 Mail 2.6

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

6. mrjinglesusa

May 3, 2010
    NoVA
    Not sure what IDLE settings .Mac uses.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

7. jakeh0

jakeh0 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    i use k-9 and it uses less battery than polling constantly

if it let you copy/paste without having to click "forward" then i'd be perfectly satisfied with it.

8. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I could never get K-9 to "Push" my yahoo mail so I removed the app. Does anyone know what POLL settings or Push settings I should set it to? Previously I set POLL to manual and set Push to 1st class folders.

9. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    PUSH will use considerably less battery than polling.

I have always run the 27xx builds and never seen any battery issues.

I don't see a way to reply to one account's emails with a different identity. (you can change the reply to addy which may or may not be enough for your needs)

My guess on the HTC question is that it is not a priority to the devs. (These priorities led to the K-9 branch (for better or worse).