• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why no IMAP IDLE on HTC mail?

narf

May 7, 2010
I have a few questions:

1. Why did HTC not include IMAP IDLE (push) as an option in their mail client?

2. Does K-9 Mail drain your battery faster if set to IMAP IDLE (push) ? I have heard varying opinions on this.

3. I considered just forwarding all email to gmail since it does use IMAP IDLE but I was wondering if I reply to an email that is forwarded to gmail will it send it from my gmail address or can I have it sent from the original forwarded address?

Cheers

The current version of K-9 (from the marketplace) has a bug that causes it to suck the battery dry. I've been told that the latest version (not maketplace) fixes this issue but I can't get it to work right. I have a bug open with K-9 development and I'll post an update here if/when I get it working right.

Upvote 0
PUSH will use considerably less battery than polling.

I have always run the 27xx builds and never seen any battery issues.

I don't see a way to reply to one account's emails with a different identity. (you can change the reply to addy which may or may not be enough for your needs)

My guess on the HTC question is that it is not a priority to the devs. (These priorities led to the K-9 branch (for better or worse).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones