• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why No Kickstand??

Why no kickstand you ask ? well maybe just maybe this is not the EVO-2. I have not seen or heard anything that say the EVO 3D is the follow up to original HTC EVO 4G..imo
This is definitely HTC's successor to the EVO 4G. This is Sprint's flagship phone for 2011:

-qHD Display @ 960x540 - MAJOR upgrade from E4G
-1.2GHz Dual-Core SoC + 1GB RAM (Qualcomm's MSM8660) - MAJOR upgrade from E4G, besting Tegra 2 / Tegra 3D
-1080P Video Capture/Playback - MAJOR upgrade from E4G
-Ships with 2.3 Gingerbread

Upvote 0
Having seen the external case, I am all in, head first. I think it looks great, and as I have said, I would be putting a case on it anyway.

Thanks for the link!

EDIT: Ewww... looks like the chargin port will be on bottom. No good... Here's to hoping for some aftermarket casemaker to actually think ahead and simply make the kickstand flip out the other way...

Reactions: Stryfe
Upvote 0
Having seen the external case, I am all in, head first. I think it looks great, and as I have said, I would be putting a case on it anyway.

Thanks for the link!

EDIT: Ewww... looks like the chargin port will be on bottom. No good... Here's to hoping for some aftermarket casemaker to actually think ahead and simply make the kickstand flip out the other way...

It can't flip out the other way. You will probably need that volume control when you watch a movie. Plus, the camera button would get mashed if it was on the bottom.

That case does go a long way toward making me reconsider this device. The only hangup now is the charging port being on the side (and unusable while the kickstand is out).

I would like to see how much bulk that case adds to the device too, and how sturdy that kickstand is.

Upvote 0
It can't flip out the other way. You will probably need that volume control when you watch a movie. Plus, the camera button would get mashed if it was on the bottom.

That case does go a long way toward making me reconsider this device. The only hangup now is the charging port being on the side (and unusable while the kickstand is out).

I would like to see how much bulk that case adds to the device too, and how sturdy that kickstand is.

Unless the buttons are so big that they are touching the table with the added thickeness of the stand/case, I don't see a problem. If the kickstand faced the other way on the EVO, my Seidio case would be more than enough to keep any of the buttons from hitting at all. As far as needing the buttons for sound, I think I would rather have to pick the phone up a second to adjust the sound than have the battery die on me. :mad: I mean how often does one adjust the sound mid-movie anyway?

Upvote 0
The only thing I used less on my Evo than the kickstand is the HDMI port. And the 3 times I used the kickstand the phone would tip over relatively quickly after setting it down. But even if I used the kickstand 24/7, I'd still get the Evo 3D in a heartbeat. Why? It's significantly more powerful and most importantly, it's much cooler. Just like the iPhone 5 will be cooler than the Evo 4G, but no where close to the 3D.

If I'm at a party with my 3D and freinds or family come up and say something "hey did you see that cool video of the cat pooping in the toilet", I'll lay my 3D flat on the table, fire up you tube in 3D and when they awkwardly lean forward because there is no kickstand and begin to view the video, I'll smash their heads against the table and tell them to get a life.

Upvote 0
Unless the buttons are so big that they are touching the table with the added thickeness of the stand/case, I don't see a problem. As far as needing the buttons for sound. I think I would rather have to pick the phone up a second to adjust the sound than have the battery die on me. :mad:
It's a crappy choice to have to make, lol.

That camera button and 2D/3D switch look pretty big though. I think that camera button would probably get mashed in if the kickstand opened the other way.

They really should have just put those cameras the other way (portrait) so they could move the battery up, put the USB port on the bottom, and build the kickstand into the device itself. Or maybe even change the shape of the battery and make more room along the bottom that way, for the charging port and kickstand.

There would be absolutely no hangups with this device if the charging port was at the bottom and the kickstand was built in. I'd be contemplating how I was going to pre order one for each line on my family plan if that were the case.

As it stands right now I may or may not get the device. I'm thinking there could be some sore of L shaped flat coupler that plugs into the charger and then has a port for you to connect a charging cable. Or even a charging cable that has an L shaped connector that is really flat.

I don't mind buying accessories, but I do resent being forced to buy/carry them just to get the same functionality that I currently have.

And drilling a hole in my desk for a charging cable is not an option, lol.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking there could be some sore of L shaped flat coupler that plugs into the charger and then has a port for you to connect a charging cable. Or even a charging cable that has an L shaped connector that is really flat.

Have you seen the EVO powermat battery? Take a look at how that is attached. I bet they could do something like that.

I don't mind buying accessories, but I do resent being forced to buy/carry them just to get the same functionality that I currently have.

And drilling a hole in my desk for a charging cable is not an option, lol.
I think for my desk I would just grab a dock. I actually look forward to having a cradle/dock that plugs directly into the pc.

Upvote 0
Have you seen the EVO powermat battery? Take a look at how that is attached. I bet they could do something like that.

I think for my desk I would just grab a dock. I actually look forward to having a cradle/dock that plugs directly into the pc.
I haven't seen the powermat in person yet. I'll have to check that out.

I have 2 work desks at different locations, a home desk, and my night stand (my Evo is my bedside clock). That's a lot of docks to buy, lol. Plus I have 4 Evos on my family plan that would all require 1 or 2 for use as the bedroom clock and at the work desk.

And this is all just to get the same functionality that we have right now. Lame.

Hopefully a miracle happens and the final device has the charging port at the bottom. And as long as I'm wishing, hopefully it has a built in kickstand too.

Upvote 0
I think I would just cross my fingers that we get an aftermarket case with kickstand built in that has the stand flip out on the other side and no mash the camera button. I think I would be legitimately happy enough with that.
In that case, you'd also have to hope that HTC Sense would display properly when the phone was flipped the other way. I know stock Android supposedly does, but HTC Sense is a different animal.

Upvote 0
In that case, you'd also have to hope that HTC Sense would display properly when the phone was flipped the other way. I know stock Android supposedly does, but HTC Sense is a different animal.

I am not for certain Sense is going to have a portrait mode setting for this handset. Is this something that is confirmed? I didn't see it flip over in any of the videos I watched.

Upvote 0
I am not for certain Sense is going to have a portrait mode setting for this handset. Is this something that is confirmed? I didn't see it flip over in any of the videos I watched.
I don't know if the home screen has landscape or not, but surely the video player does. I would imagine that anything you would use the kickstand for would work in landscape. I don't know if it would work upside down though, as HTC Sense might not support flipping the screen the other way.

Upvote 0
I don't know if the home screen has landscape or not, but surely the video player does. I would imagine that anything you would use the kickstand for would work in landscape. I don't know if it would work upside down though, as HTC Sense might not support flipping the screen the other way.

My players flips every which way on the OG EVO. I would imagine it would do the same here? FWIW I am running a custom rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones