1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why no MR2/MR2.5 based Froyo ROM's?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ibrick, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

So besides a couple of ROMS that I have no interest in running, why arent there more Froyo ROMS using the new base?

If it helps with reboots and gps locks I would think there would be a decent amount of people who want a Froyo ROM using the new radio.

Just thinking out loud, but just because it works with gingerbread doesn't mean that's all people want.

I'm personally hoping CM7 uses the newer radios in some upcoming builds..

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

i do not believe mr2 really helped much with the reboots and other issues. teamAndIRC has tweeted that mr2 is prolly not going to happen,so maybe its simply a lack of interest by developers to build from potentially buggy(at the very least not any better and using a questionable radio :eek:). im willing to use the mr2 radio for GB roms,but not for froyo. there are plenty of stable froyo roms using stable radios. im sure lots of other folks share that opinion.

perfect storm 1.5 is prolly a pretty decent rom,and i believe dsb9938 is working on making cubed mr2 based.

CM wont use a leaked radio. dont count on the radio changing until an OTA with a better radio is offically released :)

3. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

I thought MR2.5 was the replacement for 2.0? The version VZW was working with as we speak?

I skipped the GB ROMs and went from Froyo to CM7. The GB ROMs were all too bloated, and unpolished.

I guess I'm just having flashing withdrawals and want something worth flashing too.. :)

4. blueis300

blueis300 Newbie

Im running a GB rom with the mr2.5 radio and it works well.

5. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

Eh.. If I go back to GB, it'll be an AOSP version.

GB Stripped is full of problems and that's the only GB ROM that interests me. Sense is any form sucks the performance out of any ROM IMO..

6. scotty85

its sposeda be... but its not working so well,i do not believe. we wont know for sure whats buggy and whats not until we try it and/or get official releases. ive read so many different reports from people using mr2.5 that im just stickin with mr2 when using GB sense roms. everything from its great,to it drops calls and gets no phone signal or data :eek: the mr2 radio seems to be a lil more stable and consistant

right now im on the bamf 3.0(sense is ok in small doses :p) with the mr2 radio and it seems to be working well.

7. scotty85

ill agree with this... im an AOSP fan. im thinkin of tryin the OMFGB nightlies after another day or so on sense 3.0

8. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

OMFGB looks promising, I have been following that thread. Just not quite there yet.

I agree in small doses Sense isn't terrible by any means. I loved 1.7 stripped, and was really looking forward to 1.8. Although it seems BAMF could have just made a patch for the new toolkit and been done with it..

They took out every piece of sense they could, minus the weather which i delete anyway, and its still twice the size of CM7. Just shows how much is really unnecessary.. Just think it would have been nice to try a stripped down Froyo ROM with MR2.

Maybe once they get the bugs worked out of GB Stripped or OMFGB.

9. scotty85

eventually well get another leak/ota... plus theyll release the source and kernel code.i think sense/desensed GB is about as good as its with the buggy alpha leak as a base. there is still anotehr froyo leak coming to replace mr2,so maybe something good will come of that. :)

i agree 100% about the rom size. small footprint is one thing i like alot about AOSP roms.

10. tbcpn

tbcpn Newbie

I've been running Flyweight Final (MR2 radio / ROM) for a week and it's been very solid. Very stripped and minimal, which is my preference in ROMs. This is not a themed ROM.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews