1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Why no official emulators?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by A.Nonymous, Jun 2, 2011.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    With the whole hullabaloo earlier about Yongzh's emulators being pulled from the market and all the other emulators being pulled from the market, it really made me wonder. Why are there no official emulators on the market? Sega owns the rights. There's obviously a demand for it. People are willing to pay. Same with Nintendo. Why do they not roll out an emulator of their own. Make the emulator a dollar or two and bundle it with one or two games. Sell the other ROMs on the market for a dollar or two a piece. People are willing to pay for this. The market is there. Why are the official rights owners not doing this? They're leaving money on the table.

Advertisement

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    They wont let others make money and they wont deliver their own product either....they all fing suck thats why :(

3. wredj10

wredj10 Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    if they were going to make an official emulator the prices of the roms would probably be at least 3.00 for a rom (read on the iphone that the roms were 5.00 each) and since the android doesn't make a lot of sales compared to the iphone, and with not a lot good games compared to the iphone, each rom would probably be 5.00 at the minimum

4. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Multiple reasons!

Think of all the forum posts you see along the lines of 'hai guyz i dont no how 2 wurk dis emulator pleez halp me downlod roms k thx'. No official company is going to take that kind of workload on board for their technical support.

Emulators are always going to be imperfect, and no official company is ever going to publically admit to releasing an imperfect product that would give angry customers a license to threaten them over it. Sure, not many people would do that, but if there's ever the tiniest chance anything bad could happen to any end user and the company would have to admit actual responsibility in any way, shape, or form they're simply not going to do it.

Plus there aren't that many people who really want emulators. You and your mates are not lots of people. Even the entire population of this forum is not 'lots of people'. I'm pretty confident most smartphone gamers couldn't care less: they're too busy playing Angry Birds to play some dumb SNES cartridge that came out fifteen years ago.

And of course there's always money. These companies are businesses, and they have a responsibility to their shareholders to make the company worth lots of money and make the shareholders rich, otherwise the shareholders can threaten them with all kinds of things. Releasing an emulator users can do whatever they want with, or can hack to do whatever they want with, is not going to make shareholders rich. Releasing an emulator that works with one game at a time and charging lots of money for that is going to make shareholders a lot happier, because enough people still want it even if it's over-priced it'll still shift copies.

Probably more reasons, but it's really late and I can't sleep, which is the only reason I'm typing this in the first place.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    See all those problems wouldn't be there with an official emulator though. Sega or Nintendo or whoever would be able to pick and choose which games they actually released and only release those games that worked. If people aren't willing to pay $5 for a rom then that just says that they've got their prices set too high. I'd be willing to pay $2-3 to play Sonic. I don't think I'm in the minority. Those games are still a lot of fun.