1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Why no thread about the GPS problems?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Markdek, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Markdek

Markdek Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    I'm hoping that some Phandroid owners chime in on their use of the Nexus 7 2013 gps navigation. This site appears to be the only one not discussing this issue. What is the issue. The gps looses it's lock, and searches forever (unsuccessfully) to re-lock. particularly when traveling w/ no wifi.

Advertisement

2. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2012
    West Coast
    In order to use an on-line mapping database like GoogleMaps, Bing Maps, Mapquest on-line, whatever, you've got to have an internet connection which updates your map while you're on the go. Same story for navigation programs like Waze, TeleNav and so on; they need the internet

To use a standalone GPS chip in a phone or tablet for navigation without an internet connection, you need a mapping app which comes with an entire or partial mapping database installed (with the program) on your device. Examples: an app like Garmin USA (or Int'l), TomTom USA, etc. These apps download an entire mapping database to your device and essentially make it operate like a full-blown auto-style GPS. No internet required while navigating.

Depending on your use, there are other less expensive apps which give you access to smaller pieces of a mapping database which you can download into your device before you travel.

An example I use is Gaia GPS, which I use with my iPhone for downloading topographic trail maps before I go on hiking trips. At the trailhead, I load one of my pre-downloaded maps into the program and use the GPS to navigate using the selected map while on the hike.

3. syzmic

syzmic Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2013
    Male
    What GPS problem???

Just use NavFree. Problem solved.

4. Markdek

Markdek Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Please have a read here about the on going problem:

XDA:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2382355&highlight=gps
    AP:
    GPS Problems on Nexus 7 (2013) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

AND, please see the reviews on Amazon.com.....how many sources of information does anyone need?

Now, if you are saying you have tried your gps w/ an app w/ offline maps with wifi turned off, and while traveling, in a car for instance, and you have had no problems, many people will be interested and thankful to know that.

P.S. This is regarding the new Nexus 7, w/ Android 4.3

5. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Most of us have the old N7. You know, the one that works. :D

6. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I have a feeling it's not as widespread of an issue is because not many people use gps in the tablet. When I tested it last night I can verify that my tablet is also experiencing this issue. But I don't think I would have ever known if not for the articles about it...